cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Exporting Assemblies and Assosiations

ptc-6784444
1-Newbie

Exporting Assemblies and Assosiations

Hi, I am wroking with a company that has recently started using CREO for there vehicle assemblies, they are exporting data to us but not including the associations from the images to the assemblies. So we do not know which parts lists/images go with which assemblies, we speak different languages on top of it. So what I am asking, is how do I ask him for the information needed to tie the images to the assemblies? I think this is the model tree, but am not sure. Thanks! Andy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the forum, Andy.

This is a common problem. Just because a model is built a certain way, there is no assurance that the drawing was structured the same.

Not knowing what you are using makes this a best guess, but in general, a STEP export format will preserve the product structure the best. Other formats will also try to preserve the structures. You client just has to give you the model file at the top level and it should be properly structured with subassemblies and components below that. However, be aware that the same item may be exported as unique instances. Meaning you will have some work to do for rebuilding things to reuse common parts.

What can I say, you have to evaluate what data you have available. There is also significant effort going on at PTC to make Creo 3 more compatible with other systems, including 2 way communication. If this task is big enough or complex enough where preserving associativity is a huge advantage, you might catch up with what's going on in development and PTC schedules. A value added reseller might just get you and your client up and moving in short order depending on where the development team is at the moment. This could be a a win-win (&win) if your client's representative has some clout with PTC.

Top Tags