cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Flexed components not working in upper level assembly

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Flexed components not working in upper level assembly

I am having some issues with flexed components in a lower level assembly not regenerating correctly when upper assembly is opened.

I will try to explain as best I can:

• Assembly 1 has flexibility defined for a two part sub assembly.
  • Assembly 2 uses assembly 1.
  • Assembly 2 also uses an assembly with a pro program defining its height.
  • When assembly 2 is opened the flexibility is not applied and the only way to get it to work is to open assembly 1 and regenerate it.

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot the problem:

• Moved insert up to assembly 1.
  • Created simplified assembly with assembly 1 in middle of tree. (without assembly with pro program - worked)
  • Changed assembly constraints (1 component to 1 component and no assumptions)
  • Isolated assembly 1 from assembly with pro program. (fixed issue)
  • Reattached assembly one to assembly with pro program.

Conclusion:

• Isolating assembly 1 from the assembly with pro program eliminates the problem.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

There is always more to learn in Creo.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:pausob)

We have been able to get things to work.  Turns out the issue is not in the pro program of a sub assembly, but in the way various parts are constrained in sub assemblies: shock assembled with cylinder constraint (slider works), hardware constrained to two different parts in same connection, parts not fully constrained, ect.  The issues are time consuming to find as the part causing the problem may not have anything to do with the parts not functioning.

We have decided to remove the mechanism from the subassembly where we need to use flexability (one of our engineers has found that flexability and mechanism do not work well together and always removes mechanisms when he has issues).  I believe we could get everything to work together, however it is not worth the effort needed to fix the issues and have the released assemblies demoted to save the fixes as they are found.  Then there is the issue of training and getting everyone to use the correct assembly constraints.  It is kind of like trying to herd cats.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Did you get it to work?  Are you using an associated parameters to "force" the regeneration of assembly 1 instance?

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:pausob)

We have been able to get things to work.  Turns out the issue is not in the pro program of a sub assembly, but in the way various parts are constrained in sub assemblies: shock assembled with cylinder constraint (slider works), hardware constrained to two different parts in same connection, parts not fully constrained, ect.  The issues are time consuming to find as the part causing the problem may not have anything to do with the parts not functioning.

We have decided to remove the mechanism from the subassembly where we need to use flexability (one of our engineers has found that flexability and mechanism do not work well together and always removes mechanisms when he has issues).  I believe we could get everything to work together, however it is not worth the effort needed to fix the issues and have the released assemblies demoted to save the fixes as they are found.  Then there is the issue of training and getting everyone to use the correct assembly constraints.  It is kind of like trying to herd cats.

Top Tags