cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Frustration with no cham/round ability in assembly

KrisR
1-Newbie

Frustration with no cham/round ability in assembly

Argh....

I have an assembly that gets features cut from it, and needs chamers after the cut is complete.

There is no way at ALL in Pro to create these.

These are not remove material chams, they are of the type that will add material, and in an assembly, I can't add ANY material. Not a chamfer or a fillet.

I grow increasing frustrated by this. I can do sweeps for material remove chams but not for ones that come after a cut feature, that add material. So now I have an assembly that has interference from the mating part because it has chams. I shouldn't have to incorrectly model something because this ability is missing.

Just venting, and hoping that other feel my pain. I've got an "Idea" for it here already, so please, if you experience this frustration, please vote.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1021

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:KrisR)

The ability is there although maybe not in the form one would like. You can add the assemby cut to the part level using the intersect tab. At the part level add the chamfers and rounds. To make a part without these features use a family table to create an instance that removes the assembly cut, rounds, and chamfers.

KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

I've decided to do a component operation->cut out and use the mating piece for the cut out. All of this rig-a-morole for a simple chamfer.

*sigh*

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

What I've had to do is create a separate part, and add material that way using assembly references. I've especially had to do this to add welding rod mass in the past.

I thought Pro/WELD would add the mass props for the rod. Am I wrong?

Hmm... I always thought this was the case!

Both Kevin's and Frank's method will work.

Not that I'd specifically recommend this... but you could also merge the parts using Component Operations and then you can add/remove material all day long using chamfer and round.

You could also use Kevin's technique but instead of making a family table, experiment with flexible features (suppressing the chamfers and rounds) and possibly inheritance features, too.

Just a few thoughts...

Take care...

-Brian

tleati
10-Marble

I just encountered this same problem, at least it should be available to do the material-removing chamfer type, since at assembly level it's quite a common operation...nor PTC explains why it is not possible to do it.

I am wondering also why it is in the list but greyed out --> should not even be present! I initially thought it was a problem of advanced license requirement.

Top Tags