cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

GOT A NEW COMPUTER BUT NOT NEW PERFORMANCE

Beyontech1
1-Newbie

GOT A NEW COMPUTER BUT NOT NEW PERFORMANCE

So I just got a new computer that is so hot, it can cook a chicken.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-4351E1U-Thinkstation-E5-1650-6-core/dp/B00FE2LEIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440772396&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+4351

Changes to that system are... I have 32 gig of ram ( Soon to go to 64 ) and a A 250 gig solid state hard drive running Windows 7 pro.

6 corers and 12 separate threads!

I am using 12% of the CPU and almost 100% of the ram for an assembly.

Why is Creo not using all my CPU availability?

bench2.PNG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jose,

I'm afraid (as many others have suggested) that your hardware is the bottleneck.   Don't get me wrong,  its a very respectable machine, but not necessarily "optimized" for the kind of Creo tasks you wanting it to perform.   If your using this machine for your daily design/modeling machine and also use it for regular FEA or Rendering applications then this is exactly the type of machine I would have recommended for you.   However if your using it for only design/modeling tasks and not the other stuff, then I would have recommended an i7 based machine with an Overclock.  (then of course special considerations also need to be made to keep it cool!)   A fast OC'd CPU, fast RAM (more than 1600), and a MOBO that will allow for a fast bus pipeline is what Creo wants.  When you buy from the big name companies, you never know what your getting in the MOBO.

You also mentioned putting in an SSD.  If your pulling your parts from a network server,  the SSD will not increase Creo performance much.  However,  if your able to keep all you parts on the local SSD,  you will notice a huge difference in file open and save commands.

Good Luck,

PS,  I agree with Tom U.   Cool Pic.   I've seen twin 300 on patrol boats,  but never 4 of them!   Better hang onto something when you hit the throttle!

Bernie

Bernie Gruman

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Beyontech1)

Most of Creo uses 1 core.

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:Inoram)

For example ARX --- Photlux rendering use all cores.

Jose,

because Creo is single threaded in most operations, the highest overall use of the processor is 100% / number of cores, this means 100 / 12 = 8.3 %

To get quicker response, you need the computer with overclocked processor. Number of cores is not important.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

A good guide to single-thread performance is here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

In fairness, your E5-1650 v3 (not v2 as listed in Amazon) scores reasonably well.  Note though that it has six physical cores, not 12 - and it may run cooler (though not noticeably faster) if you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Also, in your screenshot you're using only a fraction of the RAM too - but you'd need a pretty big assembly to use up 32 GB.  What do you need 64 GB for?

(edit) Oh hang on, I don't understand the two values each for 'used' and 'free'.  Is the second one the page file?  If so then yes, you clearly need more memory!

pzago
5-Regular Member
(To:JonathanHodgson)

I'm confused because the workstation linked is from the old Lenovo lineup, and can only mount E5 v2 Xeon processors (which means slower memory speed and smaller cache) but the screenshot shows a E5 v3 Xeon, clocked at a rather strange 1190 Mhz (bus speed maybe?)

Nice compy!

As suggested by Jonathan, turn off hyperthreading in BIOS, that will boost performance with Creo abit.

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:James62)

Wau James62.

It´s a good idea... do you say: "Turn it of in BIOS and you will use more percentage from procesor?" If l understand right?

Is it safe? What about overheating and burn PC down?

By disabling HT, you will see a higher *reported* CPU usage as Windows will now think you have only 6 cores instead of 12.

In practice, it's reckoned that real performance advantage when running many threads with HT is actually only about 1.3×, not 2×, but that's irrelevant with a single-threaded program such as Creo.

In theory, disabling HT could make a tiny improvement for single thread performance by avoiding switching overheads and sharing of resources, but in practice I don't think you would notice it, or possibly even measure it.  (HT is supposed to make use of small periods of idle time on each core, while it's waiting for other things to happen, so you don't get that time back by disabling it.)

In my experience (and supported by some internet searches) the CPU will actually run cooler (certainly at idle) with HT disabled:

Enable HT vs disable HT ??? | TechPowerUp Forums

Interesting, I don't remember ever seeing a performance computing guide where people turn off HT. However, I have C-states turned off, higher Vcore voltage, core speeds synced and overclocked to 4.3Ghz. On water cooling. and memory at 2400Mhz. Also, Windows in high performance mode, although I'm not sure that matters with Cstates off. And it's not much different then just running the regular Asus performance mode in the BIOS. At least for Creo anyway.

I suspect there's probably no direct performance benefit - but the lower temperature has potential to allow a higher overclock if that's your thing, and it gives more accurate CPU usage reporting in Task Manager.

James62
10-Marble
(To:mbonka)

It's not any huge performance boost, but it can help if you mostly run single threaded apps on your computer.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Are you sure Creo is using all the RAM?  Might want to look at Task Manager. (Right click in the task bar.)  Look for the xtop.exe process.

If it really is, what are you opening?!?!  I've opened what I thought were pretty large assemblies and never got higher than maybe 7 or 8 GB of actual RAM usage.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

That is a lot of RAM usage, although I have opened what I thought were small assemblies and I have used 12-17gig of memory. But my problem SEEMS to be video card memory. when it maxes out everything slows down.

Yes it is a lot of RAM and I am using it all. 

What am I working on?   I could tell you but I would have to shoot you.  

Generically it is a multi whole engine assembly. Like a picture below. (yea that is my son checking out dads work).

I was hoping for a magic bullet here but It looks like I need to increase my ram for getting the whole assembly in session.

and then wait for my single hyper threaded processor to digest it all.

I guess the single thread CREO has a long way to go before we can get all excited about the internet of things.

How can I get things set up up front for better functionality downstream, if I can hardly use my computer to its fullest.

My computer is maxed out on ONE thread. and 90% idle elsewhere.    GRRR   .

us-customs.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys.

So I'm guessing you've got all four engines, complete with crankshafts, rods, pins, pistons, camshafts, valves, springs, driveshafts, gears, pumps, selector mech, seals, etc all in session?

As mentioned above, the ultimate hardware solution is overclocking - the top scoring systems in the OCUS benchmark all use i7 47xx CPUs, overclocked from 3.5 to around 4.5 GHz (that's over 25%, and should deliver a Passmark score close to 2700):

http://www.proesite.com/newframe.htm?/OCUSB6/results.htm

But in the meantime, can you work with a geometry rep or a simplified rep?  Do you really need both the big picture and the small detail at the same time?  It's worth thinking about if you're spending many minutes of your day waiting for regen, or struggling to spin models on the screen.

If it's any consolation, Catia seems to be similarly limited by one main thread.

yes, I do have a few things in simplified rep form but the things I have in session need to be

And I have duplicates engines shut off.  Top level assembly management is not the issue, it is one core and ram.

so you are correct in the assumption of crankshafts, rods, pins, pistons, camshafts, valves, springs, drive shafts, gears, pumps, selector mech, seals, etc all in session. It is not often I bring up assemblies like this up but for running using mechanisms for internal and external, there are times we need everything in session.

I have workarounds for most of the top level issues.

I was just hoping the hardware could be better used.

CATIA!!!????.........I think we can continue to be better then THOSE guys. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Cool picture!  I'm guessing I wouldn't be allowed to get away with that on a fishing boat...  Can't imagine how much gas that must go through. 

Jose,

I'm afraid (as many others have suggested) that your hardware is the bottleneck.   Don't get me wrong,  its a very respectable machine, but not necessarily "optimized" for the kind of Creo tasks you wanting it to perform.   If your using this machine for your daily design/modeling machine and also use it for regular FEA or Rendering applications then this is exactly the type of machine I would have recommended for you.   However if your using it for only design/modeling tasks and not the other stuff, then I would have recommended an i7 based machine with an Overclock.  (then of course special considerations also need to be made to keep it cool!)   A fast OC'd CPU, fast RAM (more than 1600), and a MOBO that will allow for a fast bus pipeline is what Creo wants.  When you buy from the big name companies, you never know what your getting in the MOBO.

You also mentioned putting in an SSD.  If your pulling your parts from a network server,  the SSD will not increase Creo performance much.  However,  if your able to keep all you parts on the local SSD,  you will notice a huge difference in file open and save commands.

Good Luck,

PS,  I agree with Tom U.   Cool Pic.   I've seen twin 300 on patrol boats,  but never 4 of them!   Better hang onto something when you hit the throttle!

Bernie

Bernie Gruman

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

My Thinkstation just scored a 1556 using Olaf's Benchmark.  But I did not shut off the virus protection.

So I am definitely in the top 50 on Olaf's site.

ProESite - Olaf Corten's Pro/ENGINEER Site - Pro/E Utilities, Benchmark, Tips and Links

Here are my results with Kasperski ON

Total= 1556 seconds
CPU Related tasks (CP)= 1118 seconds
Graphics Relatsed tasks (GR)= 423 seconds
DISK related tasks (DI)= 223 seconds

No too bad.

Tom,  so the guys at the U.S. customs need 4 because the runners are running 5.....mercedes-g63-amg-cigarette-boat-3.jpg

but with their M16's they only need to get close to shoot out 2 engines.

I (in rough water) would take the 90 MPH boat with shock absorbed seats and a reinforced hull then to have the Cigarette/AMG with an extra 300 HP. FYI an single Verado uses roughly 40 gallons per hour at wide open throttle (with 5 hanging off the back that is 200 gallons per hour.) at 3.00 per gallon at the marina..... so from Cancun to Key West it will be 390 miles at 80 mph it will be a 5 hour trip, a mere $3000.00 in gas alone.

Not to mention the doctor visit to get your kidneys to stop bleeding.

and with out CREO we would still be using dug out canoes.

So to wrap up this thread,

Good machines still need top level assembly prudence and we all can look forward to multi thread programming to spank anyone using Catia.

PTC creo can run on Windows 98 ?

why ?

please explain?

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:caswq)

Hi,

PTC products are supported on current version of Windows - Windows 7, 8, 8.1. Support for Windows 10 will be added soon.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Creo (Pro/E) has been out on MANY platforms.

Countless Unix variants as well as everything from WIndows NT until now.

I started using the Pro/Ev8 using a H.P. Apollo running a risk 33Mhz machine.   IN WIREFRAME and cascading command menu structure....

Anyone remember <Feature><Create><Protrusion><Revolve>?!

Oh the good old days.

CadMamama

I do not think a 98 would even open a current version of Creo 2.0  no would anyone want to use it, if it could.

Top Tags