cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

HELP: Can Creo do "Virtual Parts"?

CLOUSER
6-Contributor

HELP: Can Creo do "Virtual Parts"?

In SolidQuirks you can converts parts and sub-assemblies inside of an assembly to "virtual parts".

What this does is places those items INSIDE the assembly and they no longer need to exist on the server!!

The best example of why you would use this is importing vendor files, for example a hydraulic cylinder, into your system.  You only want ONE part number to track in PDM, ERP, etc, and you don't want a bunch of files clogging up the server with random file names.

The Virtual Part/Assembly solves this problem.  You can maintain your assembly with any flexible placements but you don't have any file management.

Additionally, you can open and modify or use the virtual parts as usual.  If you like the piston rod in the cylinder for another purposer, just open it and save it as a new file name. 

How would you do something like this in Creo?  I'm dealing with imported assemblies that I want to keep some flexiblity but only want to manage one file.

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:CLOUSER)
TomU
23-Emerald IV

dmartin
11-Garnet

There's a hidden config.pro option that enables this in Creo Parametric 5.0 but it's not set up to work with Windchill.

https://youtu.be/iOqBdz6gSVg 

CLOUSER
6-Contributor
(To:dmartin)

Thanks, why would Windchill care if the files are embedded in the top level assembly??  Should be ideal because no file management should be necessary.

Top Tags