cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Helical Sweep Issue with Accuracy Problem

fgallagher
4-Participant

Helical Sweep Issue with Accuracy Problem

I am trying to create a groove in a roll that I am modeling and I am having issues where the groove is so small that the helical sweep wouldn't regenerate. So, I changed the accuracy of the part to absolute and .0001. The helical sweep will now regenerate, but it takes forever and I can't get the drawing for the assembly this part is in to open. Any suggestions?

Roll_Barrel_Microgroove.png

Microgroove.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Three options spring to mind:

1. Model the sweep for a small portion of the cylinder and make a note that it should extend the length, then create a detailed view of the that end of the cylinder showing the details of the groove.
  2. Fake the helical part. Just model it as a revolved cut. Should be much faster to regenerate. Then create the detailed view.
  3. Model the sweep as surfaces and then use them to make a solid cut. Should also regenerate faster. Still go with a high magnification detailed view to display the details of the groove.

I would not suggest trying to sketch it in the drawing, that is just asking for trouble.

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:fgallagher)

Yeah, don't model the sweep.

Instead just create a sketch the shows the sweep profile and show this sketch on the drawing in a detail view.

fgallagher
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

The problem is that the profile of the groove is so small that its not showing up in the drawing after I sketch it in the model. I might just have to sketch it in the drawing for it to work correctly.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:fgallagher)

With a detailed view you can set the scale completely different from the other views and really "zoom in".

Three options spring to mind:

1. Model the sweep for a small portion of the cylinder and make a note that it should extend the length, then create a detailed view of the that end of the cylinder showing the details of the groove.
  2. Fake the helical part. Just model it as a revolved cut. Should be much faster to regenerate. Then create the detailed view.
  3. Model the sweep as surfaces and then use them to make a solid cut. Should also regenerate faster. Still go with a high magnification detailed view to display the details of the groove.

I would not suggest trying to sketch it in the drawing, that is just asking for trouble.

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

fgallagher
4-Participant
(To:mdebower)

Thanks Marc, that worked well with faking the part with a revolved cut.

Top Tags