cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Hidden line removal by part vs assembly

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Hidden line removal by part vs assembly

I have an assemlby of ackaged components.

I am trying to clearly show the contents of the package with in the box for assembly.

The first image show the box with display style set to Hidden and the tangent edges set to Dimmed.

The second image show the box with display style set to Wireframe and the tangent edges set to None.

I am wondering if there is a way to hide the hidden lines of parts (internal lines) yet show the parts themselves in a way such that they are still in the box? If I do hidden line removal, everything disappears because you are looking at the side of the box.

I would also like to see parts that are below parts, just not any internal lines of the parts themselves.

Thanks,

Dale

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

This did not completely answer the intial question of being able to removed hidden lines from parts while being able to show the parts themelves (they were in a box). But I was able to get a great work around from the suggetion of Antonius by exploding the view and putting the box and another component behind the other parts. The only thing to remember if you are doing this with a family table of parts is that you have to make and exploded view for each of the instances of the table.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

in wildfire 5 drawing mode there was an option of view display component display and set no hidden. This is for to set display of indivdual component. In creo 2 I think it would be somewhere. Is this what you are looking for?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:jsarkar)

I think this may be what I am looking for.

Where would I find it in the View Display menu?

WF5/Creo

I would consider 1 of 3 solutions in this case.

1: Hide the box from the view (erase component). Set up the view the way you want it (most often in orthographic views, you want tangent edges off). Next, sketch the box on the drawing.

2: Create a cut section in the box that will allow viewing the internal components.

3: explode the box "behind" the components in the view. You might need to create view states to makje this work with other views.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks for the thoughts.

#2 - Create a cut section was an option, except there is a cardboard divider between one part with the wheels down and the part with the wheels up. This hide all the parts behind the cardboard divider.

#1 - I am trying to get away from sketching things because they don't alway behave when I have a wider part or taller part and I am modifying the original and the sketch doesn't update. I also have that divider thing mentioned above that would hide the parts behind it.

#3 - I have to look into exploding both the box and the divider behing the other parts. I haven't don't much on this. Do you know of any online tutorials/Youtubes that show how to do this?

Thanks Antonius, I knew that you might be able to help with all your drafting experience in Pro.

I prefer to create exploded views in the model. You can google the videos... here is one:

http://vimeo.com/6865187

It is not to difficult. In your case, you want to set most object to "unexploded" and move only the box in relation to a plane (face) to maintain the correct position and move it only in the z-depth of the view.

Save the view in th emodel that you want for the drawing. The easiest way I've had this work is to create the explode, place the view, and then turn off the explode in the model. Sometimes it is difficult to control which view pops up when you have an explode defined.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I found the tab to make an exploded view. I called it packaging.

Now I am in the drawing and have created a text view that I have exploded using the packaging view and a projection view for checking and the parts have not moved. It still show the box and divider where the were versus where there on.

Another question - this is a family table (of course with Dale). Do I need to make an exploded view for each of the instances, or can I make it at the generic level and it will carry down to all the instances.

Thanks, Dale

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I did notice that the box said custom and not packaging. I switched it, but it still didn't move the parts. Thanks

I also attached a view of the exploded view in the generic model.

Yes, orientation is saved separate from the explode state when saving views. I am working from memory back to 2000i and thinking Creo 2.0, I am not very familiar with the WF implementation.

Try not making it a projected view. Make it a primary view using the view orientation. If that didn't work, see the view dialog and see if you have the "explode" option.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

It is a primary view. I just put the projected view there to verify that it had exploded. After your post I also set the projected view (narrow side of the box) to be exploded to packaging. Neither are showing the view the box and divider moved.

Does this have to do with generic versus instances?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Yes it did have to do with instances versus the generic. Once I exploded the instance. Whaa-laa. It was exploded.

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

This did not completely answer the intial question of being able to removed hidden lines from parts while being able to show the parts themelves (they were in a box). But I was able to get a great work around from the suggetion of Antonius by exploding the view and putting the box and another component behind the other parts. The only thing to remember if you are doing this with a family table of parts is that you have to make and exploded view for each of the instances of the table.

Happy to help

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Correction - as long as you pick the correct exploded in the drawing view, you do not need to have separate exploded views for each instance in the family table.

Top Tags