cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Hiding Layer Does Not Hide Feature

JWayman
1-Newbie

Hiding Layer Does Not Hide Feature

Hello,

I have an assembly drawing which is displaying some strange behaviour.

The assembly in question comprises some old parts and some new. Some of the old parts have different layer schemes than the new ones.

In the drawing, the datum curves are displayed. I want them not to show up, so I changed the layer 'Datum_Curves' to 'Hidden'. No Change.

Due to the screwy layering scheme used in some of our older models, layers called '12_all_datum_curves' and 'All_Curves' also existed in the layer tree. I looked at which parts had these layers and they didn't exist in the top-level assembly, but I hid them anyway, just for good measure. No change.

I looked at the layer 'Datum_Curves' and checked the rules set up in it. It looked like I expected it to. I then looked at what features were on that layer. All the Datum Curve features I want to be hidden are included in the 'Datum_Curves'.

Further investigation showed that certain curves that existed in parts were hidden when only the part was open, but shown when the assembly was open.

I created a new part and made a datum curve feature. Hiding the 'Datum_Curves' layer hid the feature in that new part as expected.

So, the long and the short of it is that the features I want to hide are on the layer I am hiding and no other layer, but the features are not hidden.

What could I be doing wrong?

WF4, M220

Cheers,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Doug,

That was almost my first thought.

I opened the assembly and part models and found that certain curves that existed in parts and were on a hidden layer were hidden when just the part was open, but shown when the assembly was open. So it turns out the problem is not really drawing-related at all.

I think it must be some kind of anomaly due to the old start assembly model. I can't isolate it any further.

I have simply bodged my way around it for the drawing by hiding the errant curves in the model tree - not my preferred practice, but, Hey!

Cheers,

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:JWayman)

Drawing views can have their own layer states, do your drawing views have custom layer settings that might be overriding the overall drawing layer status?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug,

That was almost my first thought.

I opened the assembly and part models and found that certain curves that existed in parts and were on a hidden layer were hidden when just the part was open, but shown when the assembly was open. So it turns out the problem is not really drawing-related at all.

I think it must be some kind of anomaly due to the old start assembly model. I can't isolate it any further.

I have simply bodged my way around it for the drawing by hiding the errant curves in the model tree - not my preferred practice, but, Hey!

Cheers,

John

Far too many users don't really "get" layers and totally mess up the entire thing, it's truly amazing that hiring managers don't care about the actual proficiency users have with their CAD tools, or are just totally oblivious to it since most know nothing about it themselves, and if they do, they usually know far too little. In the mean time people are wasting time trying to make it work because it's so extremely hosed up and simply doesn't work as it is intended to work. There's always some fool that thinks he knows everything that won't let anyone fix it so it does work. The problem with making it work correctly is that it might expose the fool's lack of proficiency or just laziness. Of course these people are never held accountable for this waste because no one actually understands what the problem is and just believes it's deficiencies with the CAD system and they get by with murder as far as CAD efficiency, being able to accomplish what needs to be done, or accomplishing things using ridiculously bad alternate methods like 2D drafting or importing DXFs or something.

Daniel,

It's just as well that you don't feel strongly about it, otherwise it would make you angry...

I bet you find yourself chuntering about 'Those Users' a lot, like I do, don't you?

John

It seems like the vast majority of users think layers are only to be used like the display buttons for turning off the display of axis or datums. I've attempt, multiple times to discuss it further, but have never been able to get past that ridiculous assumption they have. They're totally oblivious to reality, blinded by their own foolishness and try to make it out that your just being "ocd" about the whole thing, It's ridiculously absurd that they're so blinded by their foolish assumptions that it prevents them from having an intelligent discussion. As a result you end up with the problem you wasted time trying to solve.

Top Tags