cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Hole Tool vs Cut

fred_renner
1-Newbie

Hole Tool vs Cut

Dear Users,

When using the hole tool, is there a way to make multiple holes in the one feature? I like the hole tool's ability to make countersinks, counterbores etc. automatically, but there doesn't seem to be much convenience to it if you can't make multiple holes in one feature. I would like to be able to make groups of holes related to each other for the purpose of a mating part in an assembly.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Renner
Designer/Drafter
Applied Engineering, Inc.
3300 Fiechtner Drive
Fargo, ND 58102
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

That sounds like a case for patterning.

I was hoping for a way to do it without any additional features (like patterns).

Fred

Fred Renner
Designer/Drafter
3300 Fiechtner Drive
Fargo, ND 58102

Are they holes for assembly or holes in an assembly? Patterning seems to
be the way to go and with WF3.0 and above is easy.

Richard A. Black

Lead Engineer

Eaton Corporation

16900 Aberdeen Road

Laurinburg, NC. 28353

Which is why a lot of people use a cut to create a quick set of holes. It would be nice to be able to create a series of holes (maybe like sets when creating rounds?) in one feature.

Yes, Jim Tierney's response is what I'm wondering about.

Fred Renner

I believe I heard that WF5 has the ability to pattern points in the
sketcher. Potentially you can create
one hole feature on those points and end up with multiple holes.

Doug Pogatetz

Northrop Grumman Corporation

Hi Fred,
In my early days with ProE (starting at R14) I considered Hole a feature poor subset of Cut for the lack of control and dimensioning references. However we do not do much requiring tapped holes so the extras you could do with hole were of little benefit. Over the years I have moved to using whichever of Hole or Cut seems more applicable. Multiple clearance holes I mostly use Cut and feature rich holes I mostly use Hole.

With this in mind I suggest for machine assembly that you consider Top Down Design and the use of Skeletons. I would imagine I would have axes in the skeleton that are used to align all the mating holes and to which the bolts/screws are assembled (means if any parts are suppressed or rolled back everything else stays in place). I would use Publish Geom in the Skeleton to group the alignment features and Copy Geom in the parts to import that alignment and then make holes on these copied axes. Making the holes then becomes very easy as you are picking axes as your reference for making collinear holes rather than having to dimension each one from two faces. The added bonus is that the Skeleton controls the fastening positions and everything always lines up.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
Tait Electronics Ltd (www.taitworld.com)
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

Fred Renner wroteSmiley Tongue { margin: 0; }Dear Users,

When using the hole tool, is there a way to make multiple holes in the one feature? I like the hole tool's ability to make countersinks, counterbores etc. automatically, but there doesn't seem to be much convenience to it if you can't make multiple holes in one feature. I would like to be able to make groups of holes related to each other for the purpose of a mating part in an assembly.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Renner
Designer/Drafter
3300 Fiechtner Drive
Fargo, ND 58102
Tel: 701-281-1884
Fax: 701-281-1322
Email: -
Web: ae-solutions.com

I think what WF5 adds is the ability to take a sketched datum point