cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How do I save a new version of an assembly?

ptc-170667
2-Guest

How do I save a new version of an assembly?

This may sound basic, but I'm using a master model to drive child parts using "copy goemetry" in the child parts to copy "published geometry" from the parent model. These child parts are then assembled into and assembly, which is in turn assembled into a larger assembly. In this larger assembly are a bunch of steel plates that are driven by a family table. In these plates there is a copy geom feature that is copying published geometry from the master model which is used to trim the plates.

I now want to create another version of this whole assembly. Lets say I have Assembly version "A", and now I want Assembly version "B". All the child parts want to now be version "B's" referencing a new master model version "B". The steel plates also want to become "B's" and all family table members want to use the new "B" master model for their copy geom references. I have tried this once already and used new names in the Save a Copy of the main assembly dialog, but no new references to the "B" master model were made. Also, all instances of the family table were turned into unique parts that were no longer part of a family table.

How do I save versions that maintain the references I want?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Do a Backup into a fresh directory, erase everything from memory, set the backup directory as the working directory and retrieve the assy. Rename the parts and assemblies you would like to give new names to and save it all before copying the new parts and assemblies back to where you want them.

Thanks for the answer. So that means that all the files you want to rename have to be done one by one. I guess that will work but sounds like a real pain.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-170667)

This says nothing about drawings though. Make sure you have drawings in the back up folder. They also have to be open when you rename in order to no lose associativity.

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-170667)

If you have PDMLink, you can do File>Save As in your embedded browser workspace. Use the collector to add required or all dependents and drawings. Then enter the new names. All the dependencies will be correct in the new objects. A bonus to doing things this way is that you get the opportunity to replace it in the next assembly (if it's in your workspace).

If you don't have PDMLink, then you're stuck doing it one by one as mentioned before.

No, no PDMLink. Another instance of PTC requiring additional modules to get anything useful done.

Top Tags