cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to reduce time of large nos. of screws hole creation time?

jsarkar
1-Newbie

How to reduce time of large nos. of screws hole creation time?

I am currently facing an issues with large quantity of screws. We have some structures which includes nearly 500 square tubes, beams + C sections etc (mostly similar). After creating wireframe model it takes only 2 days to complete model. This works fine in our computer. All the connections are bolted. We create points at every connecting points in a sketch. Then we use IFX (create screw at picking point). The quantity of screws are around 15000 to 20000. In a single sketch we have nearly 2000 points. So we it takes too much time (more than one day even). So it does not meeting our time requirement. I thought this was for heavy graphic memory requirement to accommodate such nos. of screws. I closely looked into it, I made the option screw suppress, use of external reference to “NO”. However it seems no. of bolts are not an issue after suppressing them. The issue is creating hole & axis feature to every point. Now, after creating points, I have created and point patterned axis. So it reduces some feature creation time. However, creating individual hole creation time is too much. I have noticed IFX does not create hole if it is already present in the parts. So trying independently creating hole but as an assembly feature hole creation take same time. So this is not working much.

I need following help:

1. I need help to reduce the hole creation time (if any available).
  2. Is there any way to create points instead of hole in all parts and assemble screws instead of hole?

Thank you,

Jayanta Sarkar

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

I think this is a Creo problem. As you already mentioned you tried to create the holes by yourself as assembly feature holes. If this takes the same time, so IFX cannot speed up the creation. 2000 holes are really a lot of holes - so this might take some time.

There is no option available to create points instead of holes. Even if we had such a option I think this will need the same time.

There only exist a option to create no holes at all. Just set NEVER for all four SCR_THREAD_SERIES options.

scr_thread_series_never.png

What do you mean with - "... assemble screws instead of hole?"

Idea:

Maybe you can split up your assembly into smaller subassemblies to reduce regeneration time. Then you can activate or open your subassembly and assemble your fastener.

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

Dear Oliver,

Yes I think you are right. This is creo poblem or i need to certain solution on that hole feature. Any way thanks for sharing the no hole creation method.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

Dear Jayanta,

I have tried it on my end with a very small assembly and a point pattern with 2000 instances.

And you are right - this really takes long.

Even if I only select the pattern to highlight the fasteners it need a long time to highlight the fasteners.

Regards,

Oli Gräbner

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

Dear Oliver,

Just to inform you, we have solved this issue. I keep the option setting as suppress the fasteners + use of external reference no then kept the points to maximum 50 nos. as limit in individual parts. So we can assemble nearly 2000 screws/hour.

Thanks you for your help.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

Top Tags