cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to show material removed on a drawing from and Assembly level cut

ptc-4579075
1-Newbie

How to show material removed on a drawing from and Assembly level cut

I have a weldment assembly that is being EOed to remove some material. I would like to be able to show the material that is removed in this revision in a phontom or soemthing so that it makes more sense what the modicifcation was. Any ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-4579075)

Hey,

I do not think this is possible in any "automated" way (you can always accomplish this by manual drawing though). Removed material is no longer a part of model geometry (simply does not exist) hence can not be shown.

You can somehow "fake" this cut process by representing cuts by extruded quilts (surfaces), and intersecting these surfaces with the model - you will get intersection curves + no solid really removed. But this will still not show the "removed" portion in any different style ...

If the "original" is not to complex, you could sketch it in the drawing. If it does get more complex, you can consider more drastic measure at the model/assembly level.

Typically, drawings would use a hatch pattern on the revised surface. This can be done at the drawing or model levels. But often, yes, I also want to show the "before" condition with phantom geometry. I normally resort to drawing sketches. This way they don't "accidentally" disappear at some revision when someone else modified the part or assembly. Or at least, the likelihood is lessened.

If your material removals are done by cut features, you may be able to create family table instances where you suppress those cuts.

Then you can assemble the "uncut" versions of parts at the same location as the "cut" version and show them in phantom font (Creo Parametric offers to change display style for components).

Top Tags