cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to simulate stress and hoop stretch related to cylinder pressure on end cap?

dandersonjr
1-Newbie

How to simulate stress and hoop stretch related to cylinder pressure on end cap?

Good Day All,

I have a cylinder that is threaded on one end and has a plug screwed into it.
I'm trying to run a Mechanica analysis that allows the cylinder at the threaded connection (Hoop) to expand radially and transfers the plug load caused by the cylinder pressure to the threads. Basically there is a dual load case, radial cylinder pressure and the load of the plug trying to shear the threaded area of the cylinder.

Would anyone have a way to apply the cylinder plug load to the threaded area of the cylinder along with the cylinder pressure without causing false stresses else where in the part?

I have run it with the plug bonded to the cylinder in an assembly which gets me close but this does not allow the cylinder hoop to expand as needed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don A

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Good Day,

Thanks to Jeff Richardson who had the answer I was looking for.
My problem was in how I was constraining the model.
To hold the model in place I used 3 displacement constraint attached at pointson the bottom of the cylinder model.
1st one has all freedoms fix
2nd one has all freedoms fix except x translation is free to move
3rd one has all freedoms fix except x and z translation are free to move (depending on the orientation of the model freedoms may need to change. Make sure the constraints allow the model to expand and contract as it needs to "hint")
Apply apressure load to the inside surfaces of the cylinder
Model the thread surface at the pitch dia and apply a total load that repersents the force the endcap istransferring to the end of the cylinderon the thread surface.
run the analysis and it should get you close.

Happy Holidays,
Don A

Top Tags