cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to update Creo View assembly?

Lalitkumar
3-Visitor

How to update Creo View assembly?

I have used a Creo View model to prepare workshop instructions for assembly. Now that the original Creo model has been updated to next version (New parts added), how do I update my Creo view model? Is there any way to update existing view model OR I have no choice but to again create a full new Creo view assembly?

Thanks in advance for your answers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:Lalitkumar)

Lalit,

Is Windchill doing the publishing of the model or are you manually saving the PVZ out of Creo Parametric?

If you are using Windchill to manage it, then you have the opportunity to aquire the ability to see the latest content and collaborate with your users in Creo View using Positioing assembly publishing. In this process, you could have saved the annotations/mark-ups/videos from Creo View back into Windchill and used Carry Forward settings. Then you could iterate the assembly in Parametric to add new components or even modify the current sub-components...check-in to republish...open in Creo View and those new components would be available for adding into your annotations/mark-ups/videos along with seeing the changes to sub-components.

This is really the approach for development that almost always wants to see the latest content in the assembly structures.

There is also a method of assembling additional objects using the Creo View client connected to Windchill, but I haven't had much success with it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The answer depends on whether your Creo View model is in Windchill or outside of Windchill. If the Creo View model is managed in Windchill then it would be automatically updated when the Creo Parametric design changes (this is ofocurse dependent on your Windchill configuration).

Else, if the Creo View model was directly created from Creo Parametric on a standalone basis (outside of Windchill), Creo View file will have to be recreated as you have noted above.

The only other option is to write a script that watches a specific folder of Creo Parametric models and triggers a republish event upon change to that folder. I'd not recommend this option as you could easily run into issues with this approach....

My Creo View model is outside windchill, created from WF5 on a standalone basis. I don't prefer to venture into writing a script to republish updated models. Too complicated for me at this stage. Thanks anyway for your inputs.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Lalit,

Is Windchill doing the publishing of the model or are you manually saving the PVZ out of Creo Parametric?

If you are using Windchill to manage it, then you have the opportunity to aquire the ability to see the latest content and collaborate with your users in Creo View using Positioing assembly publishing. In this process, you could have saved the annotations/mark-ups/videos from Creo View back into Windchill and used Carry Forward settings. Then you could iterate the assembly in Parametric to add new components or even modify the current sub-components...check-in to republish...open in Creo View and those new components would be available for adding into your annotations/mark-ups/videos along with seeing the changes to sub-components.

This is really the approach for development that almost always wants to see the latest content in the assembly structures.

There is also a method of assembling additional objects using the Creo View client connected to Windchill, but I haven't had much success with it.

Bill,

It's a manually created pvz. May be I need to find out ways so that my pvz is managed inside windchill instead. I will give it a try in the coming weeks. At this moment, I manage 2D drawings (documents), part lists (Bill of materials) and step models inside windchill.

I also tried "Assembling additional objects" but this functionality seems not yet matured.

Thanks a lot

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

I missed your statement about creating workshop instructions. You should also look at Creo Illustrate(same viewing engine as Creo view) to accomplish this task. There is some nice built in functionality to manipulate BOM structures to add/delete/combine objects in the display. Or even create items in the BOM list that don't have images. (may solve your problem of trying to add new components at a later time...).

You could also import a link of your native assembly file into Illustrate...then when you update the native file, Illustate would update with the new parts because it is linked. I haven't tested it yet, but I don't think this auto update functionality would require Windchill interaction. This process would eliminate the need to manage a copy of a PVZ file.

Dear bill,

Thanks for the introduction to Creo illustrate. I will try it.

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:BillRyan)

Bill, i have an assembly in Positioning Assembly but if i add a part in it it will not be displayed in an annotation. there is a way to accomplish that? thanks

If you are using Windchill to manage it, then you have the opportunity to aquire the ability to see the latest content and collaborate with your users in Creo View using Positioing assembly publishing. In this process, you could have saved the annotations/mark-ups/videos from Creo View back into Windchill and used Carry Forward settings. ???

GuL

Top Tags