cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

IFX screw creation is slow

mvitárius
15-Moonstone

IFX screw creation is slow

If and IFX screw exists in my working dictionary/session putting in the screw is normal, it happens fast without problem. But if IFX has to generate to model from .dat file it takes a lot of time. We both tested if the .dat files were on local drive or network drive there, but is not real  difference. The problem seems to happen if the working dictionary is full of stuff, which happens a lot since we use large assemblies

Does anyone else has this same problem? Or any solution? Or at least and explanation why this could happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I think I have found the problem.

We will fix this in the next release.

Which Creo/IFX version are you working with?

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

IFX always try to find the fastener first in

• Working Dir
  • search_path
  • PDM Link

Please do the following:

Go to 'File Open' Dialog and enter a file name, where you are sure it does not exist. How long does it takes until you get the meassage that the file cannot be found?

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

So I did some testing:

The "Preview not available" screen almost instantly appears no matter if the working dictionary is empty or flooded with files.

Other tests I did:

Tried to put screw  with 2 different scenario:

Working dictionary with lot of files(10k+):  1:24 min

Working dictionary that is empty:  0.1 sec?

Hi,

1:24min is really too long to wait for each screw.

What you can do is to use the instance creator.

With this tool you can create all instances from one *dat file and upload the complete set of fasteners to your PDM-Link or store it in a 'search_path' location.

Maybe this is a solution for you. 

Then you will be able to reuse those fasteners later on in other assemblies.

If this is not possible because you want to have your fasteners in your working directory, then we must search for the time problem in more detail.

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

I would prefer not to use it, because if change would happen to the .dat file I would need to re-run the instance creator, which could be forgotten if I don't pay attention, but if no other options are available I think I will use the instance creator.

Could the sheer number of files cause the whole process to be this slow? Same thing happens if we try to rename and AFX assembly project, it could take like 15 min to rename a project. (So we actually have to save as backup to another directory, rename there and save backup back to the original working directory.)

For the record, we don't use Windchill.

Hi 

maybe @StefanBachschus or@SamuelBrantner know more about this issue?

Can you help?

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

Hi @mvitárius ,

from an AFX perspective the issue with this large number of files is that we need to verify for every model that gets renamed that there are no conflicts with renaming so we need to check the new filename against all 10k files in your directory. As you can imagine that could take a while.

My advice would be to create search_paths for some of your project files (like standard parts and purchase parts) to make the overall load smaller for Creo or the even better solution is to use Windchill PDMLink.

Greetings Sam

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH

As you can imagine that could take a while.

To be honest I can't really imagine, for windows to find one file from that 10k it takes roughly  3 sec, and even if I multiple it with lets say 10 if I have 10 part, and again 10 for whatever reason I'm still at like 6 min. But of course I have zero understanding how AFX works.

And still AFX isn't the problem here, we can easily  get around that since renaming a project comes up once a week at most.

My advice would be to create search_paths for some of your project files (like standard parts and purchase parts) to make the overall load smaller for Creo

We do have that, but honestly I can't really see how that helps here, as far as I see it actually would make things worse? If AFX have to verify with all of our standard/commercial product too, it would make things even longer, or am I missing something here?

even better solution is to use Windchill PDMLink.

I wish...

So my real question still is, does IFX do the same thing as AFX does, it verify every file too?

Hi,

I think I have found the problem.

We will fix this in the next release.

Which Creo/IFX version are you working with?

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

Creo 4.0 M060

AFX 6.0.4.0

Any progress on the update?

I will upload the new version today.

Regards,
Oli

Oliver Gräbner
B&W Software GmbH

The new version fixed the problem! Thanks!

Top Tags