cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Import to ANSYS "Reference not in session" error

andnoe
3-Visitor

Import to ANSYS "Reference not in session" error

Hi,

I'm fresh to both Creo and the community, so if this is not the right place for my question, please direct me to the appropriate sub-forum.

TL;DR: I am trying to resolve a part error in ANSYS when importing my assembly from Creo in preparation for static analysis. I suspect the hiccup is a "Reference not in Session" yellow flag for the part in Creo. How can I resolve this warning?

A bit more detail: when importing the assembly as a whole, the part simply does not show up in ANSYS. If I import just the part and try opening DesignModeler, I get the error messages "No Valid Bodies Found." and "Attached failed.". I do not have any problem when opening the individual part in Creo, nor when opening the assembly as a whole. I suspect the issue is the yellow flag mentioned above. When deleting the flagged feature, the entire part disappears. Is there an obvious remedy for this issue?

Thank you for your response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andnoe
3-Visitor
(To:dnordin)

You were right, the problem was a surface in the part which DesignModeler failed to read. 

To solve it, I went to the Project Schematic page and right clicked on the Geometry cell to access Geometry Properties, in which I switched the Mixed Import Resolution to Solid and Surface option.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:andnoe)

Andnoe,

Try checking your import settings on the Ansys side.  You may be trying to import a surface model without setting Ansys up to import surfaces & solids.  This would result in the "No Valid Bodies Found" error for the part.

The reference part not in session should have no affect on the transfer of the geometry into Ansys.

Regards,

Dan N.

andnoe
3-Visitor

Thank you dnordin,

I went over my import settings and the analysis type is set to 3D, and from what I can tell other settings are fine too.

The reason I think something is wrong with the part is that I don't have any problem importing the remaining parts of the assembly to ANSYS, all of which are solid bodies too. If the problem is not with the reference, then I suspect something else in the CAD part is the cause of the ANSYS hiccup. I just don't know what I should be looking for. 

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:andnoe)

Another item to check is if the part in question has cosmetic threads in the model.  Try turning off the creation of the cosmetic thread before transferring the geometry into Ansys or turn off all surface imports in Ansys.

Regards,

Dan N.

andnoe
3-Visitor

You were right, the problem was a surface in the part which DesignModeler failed to read. 

To solve it, I went to the Project Schematic page and right clicked on the Geometry cell to access Geometry Properties, in which I switched the Mixed Import Resolution to Solid and Surface option.

Thanks!

Top Tags