cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Importing an assembly that contains a part already in WC - How to reference that part already in WC

Gschaedig
2-Guest

Importing an assembly that contains a part already in WC - How to reference that part already in WC

I am trying to import and check in an assembly. I have imported it, but cannot check it in because one of the parts is already in WC and checked in.

I tried to replace the part with the part already checked into WC, but that did not work for me. 

What is the best way to get the assembly to use/reference the part that is already checked into WC? I do not want to rename the part in the assy, I do not want one part with multiple/varying PNs. 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Gschaedig)

Thanks for the response. These methods did not work for me.

I am running the same versions as the article you linked, Creo 4.0, WC 11.0.

The assemblies are uploaded and checked out, I cannot undo checkout. I assume this is because after I upload the assemblies, they become checked out to myself. There was nothing before it was checked in, so I figure that is why I cannot undo checkout. 

There must be another way to go into the assembly, remove the current part and tell the assy to use the part in WC? Other than the file over method BenLoosli provided.

Thanks.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Just to clarify, the part you need to replace is showing a "new" in your workspace with a filename conflict? 

If so, I usually simply search windchill for the part, use the add to workspace icon, then make sure the "reuse modified workspace content" is NOT checked. It should replace the "new" part in the workspace with the one in the commonspace. If the part is in memory in creo, it should also ask if you want to update what's in memory.

You are correct, it is a "new" part with filename conflict.

What you mention is what I have done in the past, but was resulting in errors. Now when I try this, "reuse modified workspace content" is no longer displayed. Perhaps I have a local issue, we did just upgrade versions. 

Thank you all for your help and clarification.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

All parts and assemblies that are already in windchill need to be in the workspace before you save the content from outside windchill to prevent errors.

Any parts and sub assemblies that are not modified from the version in windchill should be removed from the folder outside windchill before opening it to prevent overwriting the windchill content.  This should force Creo to open those files from windchill.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags