cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Is the Adv Assembly module a must for using Externel ref control?

DareDevil
1-Newbie

Is the Adv Assembly module a must for using Externel ref control?

Easy question: Is it a must to run the advanced assembly module to take advantage of the wonderful external reference control?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Daniel...

If you mean the Reference Viewer/Reference Controller piece, then yes... that is an AAX feature.

Thanks!

-Brian

One other note... I believe you can change some aspects of the reference control without the AAX module through the config.pro settings. I haven't tested this though. There are a host of options available to control the default scope behavior through config.pro. But without AAX, if you go into File->Properties (Creo Elements Pro/5 aka Wildfire 5) you will not be able to change the Reference Control settings from the dashboard without AAX.

You may try some of the config.pro settings, though. Search for "scope" and you'll see a list of options that might do something. Here's just a partial list:

• allow_ref_scope_change
  • default_comp_geom_scope
  • default_comp_scope_setting
  • default_comp_skel_geom_scope
  • default_comp_skel_scope_setting
  • default_ext_ref_scope
  • default_geom_scope
  • default_object_geom_scope
  • default_object_scope_setting
  • default_obj_constraints_scope
  • default_placement_scope
  • ignore_all_ref_scope_settings
  • model_allow_ref_scope_change
  • scope_invalid_refs

As I said, I have NOT tried this but Iseem to recall that you can use these config.pro options to issue some rudimentary control over scope settings without the "interactive" options provided by AAX. If I am wrong about this, hopefully someone will set me straight.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi all

I have done all the setting and I think that the control is really good. When I run the AXX module it works, but if I try it without, all the functionality is gone. I was told that I could apply the rule to an assembly by using the AXX and then the rules would be there for the "ordinary" user without AXX license.

Is there anybody out there using this reference control on a dally basis?

Hi Daniel...

I usually kind of "set it and forget it" unless I'm doing special work where the reference control can save time. If I'm making additions to skeletons I'll sometimes use reference control to limit references so I don't accidentally pick a non-skeleton entity.

From the way other modules work, you should be able to set options with AAX on and have them "stick" when an ordinary user opens the models. For example, you can route a cable using the routed systems licenses then send the harness assemblies to an ordinary user. The ordinary user can view them but cannot modify them. This works with piping, advanced surfacing, and every other module I can think of.

Is anything specific happening that you can describe to us? I'm not sure I understand where things are failing. Any guidance you can give to fill in the blanks would help me give better advice.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags