cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Is there a way in V17 to make a quilt a solid part?

agracia
7-Bedrock

Is there a way in V17 to make a quilt a solid part?

When we bring assemblies in from ProE or solidworks to Creo V17, sometimes we get these quilts that are automatically turned off, and we have to go through the entire assembly looking for them to turn them on.  When we finish for the day, save the assembly, and close Creo, the quilts are off again when we reopen the assembly.  Does anyone know how to keep them on (some preference we can set) or a way to change them to solid parts? I found on the PTC site a way to solidify them, but we haven't been able to find the commands in our version of Creo (V17 or V19).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:agracia)

If you are looking for an automated way to changing a face part (quilt) to a solid, you may be out of luck. As Gary mentioned, the general process is to use the commands in the Surfacing menu in V17 to find where there are gaps between faces and to close those gaps-either by extending/trimming faces or by adding faces.

Another option is to try using a different method for importing your geometry. I don't know what file format you are using, but I've seen that using a different method can get better results. If you are using IGES, then try STEP instead. If you are using STEP, then try one of the more direct translators-for example *.anf from Pro/E or *.x_t from SolidWorks. If you are using STEP, you can also try using the "Direct" option instead of the "Granite" option, or use "Granite" instead of "Direct". Or, specify a custom resolution, instead of using the "Automatic" option, when using "Direct". Sometimes these will bring the parts in as solids instead of quilts.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

In 2006 CoCreate had a summer series of webinars.  One of these was the nuts and bolts data translation.  I was given a copy of the video.  This included repairing imported parts, which will be a big help to you and covers exactly what you are trying to do.  The file is to large to email at 144 MB.

If you have a way I can send it to you I will do it.

Regards

Tom

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

I have a drop box Dropbox - Submit files

I sent two files, One is the file for data translation, the second one is on surfacing.

Again, these are from 2006 so the interface is dated.  The functions still work the same.

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

Between Peter's advice and the first minute of the first video you sent me, I was able to figure it out. I changed the Step file settings to Direct.

Thanks!

Do you think you could put that webinar back in my dropbox? I had been using it (and probably should have downloaded it) but now it is gone.  The surfacing was the most helpful thing that I have seen on surfacing!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s1zat0yghc8bhjs/AADzRIEHzZZ-mFOBRkkVJZ97a?dl=0

You can use the commands on the 3D Geometry tab to modify a face part. Once you close all gaps the model will automatically solidify.

When I select the qulits, it doesn't show any gaps.  I've tried to grow the part and it seems to make it solid, but if I save and reopen, the quilts are still off and need to be turned on.  I even tried to grow the part, save it out separately then reopen it in the assembly, but it brings it in as a quilt again.

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:agracia)

If you are looking for an automated way to changing a face part (quilt) to a solid, you may be out of luck. As Gary mentioned, the general process is to use the commands in the Surfacing menu in V17 to find where there are gaps between faces and to close those gaps-either by extending/trimming faces or by adding faces.

Another option is to try using a different method for importing your geometry. I don't know what file format you are using, but I've seen that using a different method can get better results. If you are using IGES, then try STEP instead. If you are using STEP, then try one of the more direct translators-for example *.anf from Pro/E or *.x_t from SolidWorks. If you are using STEP, you can also try using the "Direct" option instead of the "Granite" option, or use "Granite" instead of "Direct". Or, specify a custom resolution, instead of using the "Automatic" option, when using "Direct". Sometimes these will bring the parts in as solids instead of quilts.

I think I figured it out! I went into the step file settings and changed from Granite to Direct like you said, and that automatically loaded the quilts.  I then could save the assembly as a package, so when I open it later, the quilts open up again. Seems to be the solution for now! Thanks!

Top Tags