cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Issue trying to save a copy of an assembly

nhanratty
2-Guest

Issue trying to save a copy of an assembly

All

Just wondering if anybody else has come across this issue...

I am trying to save a copy of an assembly and simply give the assembly a new name, i.e. all of the components within the original assembly will be reused in the new assembly. There is one part within a sub-assembly for which I can neither reuse in the new assembly nor save a copy of to be used in the new assembly. If I select to save a copy I get the attached error message.

I have checked each feature within the problem part and there are no external parent references to any other part that I can see. Also, if I try to save a copy of the sub-assembly on it's own there are no issues, wworks fine...and if I put the sub assembly into a new assembly file and try to save a copy of that again there are no issues.

Anybody have any sugestions as to what I can do to try and resolve this?

Running Creo 2.0 m120

Thank you.

Regards,

Neal

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Just a guess here...

Because you can Save As the sub-assembly without a problem, and you can Save As the part on its own, I would guess an older version of the part is used somewhere else in the original assembly (or a different sub-assembly) you are trying to perform the Save As on. Search the model tree to see if the part shows up more than once. If it does, then check the structure in Windchill/Intralink and note the version each different sub-assembly uses.

If there are different versions, update the ASM that uses the older one to the latest version.

If not, then hope someone else on the exploder has a better answer! 🙂

(I've seen the 'I can't do a Save As' situation previously when people have messed with family tables. Typically when they delete an instance without verifying it has nothing shown in a Where Used check. Best policy is not to delete instances from family tables outright. Instead, break them out of the family table to become stand-alone parts, allowing assemblies or external refs to still be able to find the file without polluting the family table with unwanted junk. I usually also rename it something like "obsolete_<part_number>.prt" so it doesn't show up in most searches and it becomes obvious it needs to be replaced in any assemblies that use it.)

I have seen this once before. I believe it was tied to a part that was replaced in an assembly. When you choose replace then replace the part with an unrelated part the original part is still attached to the assembly via a small check box that is on the replace screen. By default this box is checked and it then keeps a ghost of your original part stuck in your assembly. You need to uncheck this box if you wish to break the old part out of the assembly.

This may be it but not 100% sure.

Ron

All

Thank you for the suggestions so far...just to say we don't use Windchill. We use a third party product for our PLM.

Regards,

Neal Hanratty
Engineering Systems and Standards Manager
Terex Materials Processing Group

T +44 (0)28 8241 8769
F +44 (0)28 8225 2740
M +44 (0)75 3495 2739
E neal.hanratty@terex.com<">mailto:neal.hanratty@terex.com>
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:nhanratty)

Neal,

I do believe that I have seen this problem before. Typically it exists in a
Windchill scenario, but it does have a tendency to do that where Windchill
is not used.

What I would look for is "inclusion." For some reason it is not including
the file that you are having trouble with. As a part of the Save As process
you should have the opportunity to change the names of subordinate parts and
assemblies. You should also be allowed to REUSE those parts and assemblies.

One more thing to watch for would be having that problem child open in
session too. That might help you get through your Saved As.

Michael P. Locascio

Top Tags