Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer rules for ASM w/o changing the submodels

Re: Layer rules for ASM w/o changing the submodels

Yeah, I am only talking about "Hiding" the items directly.  This places the items on the system-driven "Hidden Items" layer.

Follow this procedure to "hide" all datum planes in the top-level assembly and all its sub-components:

1. Set the option "save_display_status_in_submodel" to NO with the File->Options->Configuration Editor

2. Open the top-level sub-assembly.

3. Press CTRL+F

4. Look for "Datum Plane", by "Datum Plane" such that Name = "*"; Check "Include submodels"; Click "Find Now" and transfer the items found to the items selected list (use CTRL+A to select all the items).

5. Close the search tool; the selected datums are highlighted; Right click on the empty space in the graphics area and select "Hide"

6. Save the layer status, and save the top-level assembly.

What will happen is that the items you selected will end up on a bunch of "Hidden Items" layers and this status will be saved with the top level assembly and it will not be saved in the sub-components layer status.

What can go wrong:

If you already have some datum planes that are "hidden" (that is, they are on the "Hidden Items" layer), then it will not be possible to hide "all datum planes selected" as per procedure above because Creo will not allow the "Hide"(or "Unhide") operation on a selection that contains both hidden and shown items.

This is one of the work-arounds:

Insert these steps after step 2. above:

2b Select the "Hidden Items" layer group.

2c Right-click and "Select Items"

2d Right-click on an empty area in the layer tree and "Remove Item"; say yes to the warning prompt.

and go on to step 3.

Re: Layer rules for ASM w/o changing the submodels

I was sure there was a product idea on this already but I couldn't find it. I hate to say it but layer control has always been this way. You can not control the visibility of sub-models layers without changing the sub-model.

I believe a product idea is your only option.

What is exactly the reason you want to control your sub-model layers from within a top level assembly? I can think of a few, but not too many. Maybe there is another solution to your specific problem.