cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Lego blocks in assembly

JozefBucha
1-Newbie

Lego blocks in assembly

Hi,

I am making lego assemblies models from parts. How can I compute in assembly how many different parts I have (block 3005, 3002, 65500,...) and to compute have many times is used for example block 3005,...

Thanks for help

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hey Jozef,

i would simply create a drawing of the model and create a recursive BOM with your specs.

greets sam

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hello !

Hard to find something in Pro/E, maybe someone else will find an easier solution than this one :

You can create a Repeat Region (table) in a drawing (Recursive, No Duplicates) then insert the following parameters : asm.mbr.name & rpt.qty

Then in the table you will get all the references contained in your model with the count for each component.

Just ask if you need some more assistance.

I hope it helps.

hey Jozef,

i would simply create a drawing of the model and create a recursive BOM with your specs.

greets sam

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH

Thanks for solution. I was looking for something just in assembly enviroment, not in drawing.

I missed the blocks count... You may save the table as a CSV to get the components sum through a simple relation in Excel.

Thank you.

I got some numbers like here:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/10134-1

Info\Bill of Materials

Depending on your settings, it should save a file called (top level).bom.1. Rename the extension to '.txt', open in your text editor, and scroll to the bottom...

Nice model, by the way!

Thanks, it works, pro/e made nice html page with all infos.

Now I am making Millennium Falcon, I am somewhere in the quarter of model building, but the count of bricks is same as y-wing:

FALCON.png

Is there a open database of Lego part models somewhere?

I made them by myself, maybe 5 of them are from Catia

There is a big database of lego parts at www.ldraw.org. There are using txt files with .dat extension. You can find program ldview at http://ldview.sourceforge.net/. This program can export .stl files. I am using this program to convert .dat files to .stl files., scale them 10 x times, and design the in Pro/E.

building instructions of the models are from http://service.lego.com/en-US/buildinginstructions/, and list of bricks in models can be find at www.peeron.com

I have now about 250 kinds of bricks, I can put them somewhere here if you want. I am making new bricks in my free time so the list is increasing.

Sweet! Is there a way to use Google or something to publish your bricks?

Something like this can really open the 3rd party development of a usable library interface for us non-windchill users.

How do you catalog all your bricks for personal use? Have you come up with some usable techniques to make this simpler?

An "Unlimited Lego Block Chest!"... who'd have thought this would ever be possible when we were growing up (pre-computer age, of course)

I was thinking about making web page with bricks, but I am not very good at html. Is it possible here on planet ptc for example with blog to make something like page where can be added bricks. I am using same numbers like lego company or as on www.peeron.com. for example 3005 is brick 2x4.

link for bricks: https://rapidshare.com/files/2389459059/step.zip

There are all bricks needed for lego starwars y-wing same like in my gallery

Thank you!

Would love to hear other peoples ideas on how to best share and catalog stuff like this.

I can see a Creo/WF assembly that looks like a box with all the parts in there and a "sticker" of the part number.

This way you can do a "pick and place" during "construction and remove the "box" at the end of the process.

What will be really interesting is how well Creo will manage such a huge database. It may take a few "chests" where you have "basic" pieces, "mechanism" pieces, and "specialized" pieces.

I'll play with this while testing Creo.

Thanks again!

you are welcome

Does anyone still have the ZIP file of lego blocks Jozef uploaded? They do not appear to be at the rapidfileshare site any longer.

I am doing a community outreach project involving some of the local libraries. I'm going to use Creo in conjunction with Legos to demonstrate how NASA uses CAD software to design and build spacecraft, rovers, etc. Having a library of real Creo models for the various Legos would save me a ton of time.

If anyone has them, pleaswe consider zipping them and adding them to the thread.

Thanks!

-Brian

Attached.

Jozef, I assume this is okay to share?

No problem

Top Tags