cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Locking constraints in an assembly

ChristianSmith
1-Newbie

Locking constraints in an assembly

I have an assembly with multiple moving parts each with a different constraint such as pin, plane, or ball. Using the drag components feature you can move parts along their rotation axis. Is it possible to lock all but one of those parts so that I can work only with the one I want, instead of having all of the constraints move at once?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Christian

I sometimes have the same problems.

I would even like them to move in an specific order.

Is there someone who can help us

Regards

Christiaan

A couple of responses, neither of them providing as slick a technique as you might like.

(1) You can add constraints to components and disable/enable them to "freeze" certain components, then return them to their packaged state. In some cases you could even make this happen quickly with a mapkey (two to toggle).

(2) Sometimes you can confine a key component using the Point-on-Curve or Point-on-Surface constraints in such a way as to "force" the assembly to behave as you wish. This has been successful for me on a few occasions.

Try using snapshots in the Drag dialog box. You can lock bodies together or you can define a value for the motion constraint. Read pg 88 in the assembly help pdf or the section called "to apply constraints during a dragging operation" in proe's help.

-Matt

Top Tags