cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Looking for tools to monitor regeneration time and memory usage

dreavill
1-Newbie

Looking for tools to monitor regeneration time and memory usage

We have a relatively large assembly. Many of the subassemblies will not open in master rep without crashing.  I would like to have a method to quantify the regeneration time of and memory useage of various parts and assemblies so we can begin to settle some of several discussions. Having a metric such as regeneration time for one technique verses another would be an unbiasis, quatitative, aid in these discussions. Currently the only method is digging thru trail files to attempt to get this information. This takes too long to be an effective tool.   Does anyone have a tool or technique to determine these metrics?

Questions being debated (and they are as old as PTC)

1. Does a Family table increase or decrease the amount of memory being used?

2. Do Assembly Cuts or Family Table Instances require more regeneration time?

3. Do Configurable Products increase the regeneration load dramatically?

4. etc. etc.

In all cases the answer is it depends. "One test is worth a thousand expert options."

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:dreavill)

Process Explorer should help you get started.

Thanks, but not quite it. Process Explorer gave me the processes ie Xtop and Creoagent that sucked up the most resources. What is needed is a tool that shows that 2 similar assemblies,  big_assy.asm with assembly cuts takes 3 minutes to load and uses 10G of Ram while big_family.asm takes 10 minutes to load but only 1G of ram (not real numbers ofcourse). I have spent 3 hours today quantifing the improvement in model speed from cleaning up relation errors (removing old mass property relations). First logging them, then fixing them, then demonstrating the change in model speed resulting from cleaning up errors.   

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Well, if you do find something that does it all automatically please let me know, I'd like to do some testing, too.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Several years ago, on WF 2 I think, I tested assembly cuts. I determined they had a significant effect on regeneration time. Unfortunately I don't have all the details anymore. 

Thanks, good to see some one else has done this. FYI, If you remember using relations to calculate Weight=mp_mass("") back in the WF then you might remember that relation forced a regeneration of all of the models that had that relation and plused the models every time mass was calculated adding almost 30% to the regen time. We still have that relation is a lot of our models here but in Creo3 that problem is fixed. Eliminating the relation only improved regeneration time about 4%.

Top Tags