cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Macro to go through many Assemblies to list the names of the subassemblies

ftorabi
1-Newbie

Macro to go through many Assemblies to list the names of the subassemblies

Hi All

I would like to know, if someone could help me with a macro that could search the names and open them from the windchill database of the models and list the names of all the existing subassemblies in it in a separate file. It would be very helpful for me.

Regards

8 REPLIES 8

Anyone here worked on Macros? ...

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:ftorabi)

Lots of macros. Typically Excel VBA and AutoIt, Others like to use Weblink, J-Link, Autohotkey, and a few venture down into Windows CMD.

If you have Windchill it can create a Report, no need for macros, what will list all the components.

If you're using Windchill, a Windchill Report can provide this.

Thank you very much. I tried the report option, but this way I should search every assembly manually, I was willing a more automated way

windchill can create a report, but you should search assembly by assembly manually, it can't go automated,  thank you for the indications. Do you know how to connect Excel VBA to Windchill ?  I don't find any commands on this

dschenken
21-Topaz I

You need to hire a database programmer to dump the correct tables from Windchill. Even if it could be done with VBA you need a database programmer to get the correct structures.

That same programmer could generate the information you are actually after, since there is nothing useful about huge spreadsheets. I expect you are looking to get some result from the data; the programmer can produce that result directly from the more powerful database rather than the weak spreadsheet.

yes but as you know it's not a common practice to get a programmer to do these tasks. it's something that even an engineer in the office might face to and need to do

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Don't tell me what I know. I know what the common practice is. I just told you. Hire a programmer who can handle the job.

Top Tags