Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make assembly component transparent

SOLVED

Make assembly component transparent

Is there a faster way to toggle part or component transparency in assemblies than: Click to select, then from the ribbon menu: Model Display>Component Display Style>Transparent?

As often as parts need to be toggled from opaque to transparent during the assembly modelling process, what I need is 'Transparent on/off' from the right-click cursor menu. Or even better, a hover-over cursor toolbar or menu with a transparent toggle.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Make assembly component transparent

The best option is really to record a mapkey for that. But you can simply add that button to your Ribbon or your Quick Access Bar. Much faster way.

See if my shot video helps you.

Video Link : 4874

José

22 REPLIES 22

You could make a mapkey to do that.

What is the benefit you are trying to get; what operations are you making parts transparent to get done more easily?

Complicated assembly inside a housing. Need the housing visible for reference, so I don't want it hidden. Need to visualize the components inside the housing and how they interface with the housing. Creating sections through the assembly does not always suffice.

You could apply a transparent material to the housing and then set key surfaces to a solid color. Alternatively there are view states that can be set with various components as shaded/wire frame.

I'm looking for fast and easy, not work-arounds. The original command string is not particularly cumbersome, but it's not fast. It's not a couple of clicks away like competitive products.

Please review this Document: Combined Views - a quick overview

It requires some setup but once it is set up, it is tab-selectable from the bottom of the graphics window.

If I had to do it often enough, I would certainly consider this. Not only for transparent, but also for wireframe.

It takes a little getting use to the interface and how it interacts with other view management, but in difficult assemblies, it can do wonders!

A mapkey makes it a couple of keypresses, and is typically fast, and making it a transparent material makes it no more clicks. I gather you moved from some other software to Pro/E or Creo recently?

Whether a technique seems fast or easy is really a matter of learning and practice. It's not a work-around just because a function behaves differently in other software.

One thing that is interesting about it is that if it is difficult for you to assemble parts when you can make items transparent to make it easier to see what you are doing, imagine how difficult it will be for a person to do so with real parts without that choice.

The best option is really to record a mapkey for that. But you can simply add that button to your Ribbon or your Quick Access Bar. Much faster way.

See if my shot video helps you.

Video Link : 4874

José

Jose... I put the button on the toolbar as you show in the video. Very nice tip for quick access! Thanks.

John, I also am transitioning from a competitive productworks , and really miss the UI RMB options. I decided to set up mapkeys, T for transparent & S to return to shaded. We'll see how it works out. At least with a mapkey I can easily program my SpacePilot to use it. I also plan to investigate if/how I can cusomize my RMB menus. Yeah, that won't be easy. With 17yrs of experience on the other CAD system, I'm hard-wired!! After 2 months, I'm still hitting Ctrl-Q when I don't think about it... considering writing a mapkey file to translate one to the other, since I use both now, and consistency would be nice.

Creo2 is OK so far, but much to adjust to. It's not bad, just different. I'm trying to be positive that I'm learning new skills that might be valuable to my next customer/employer.

Jose, thanks for posting the video, it helped me find my way around those command screens! Perhaps I'll be good enough one day to provide some answers here. Until then, I'll just keep learning...

Cheers All