Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure distance between multiple points

Highlighted
Level 8

Measure distance between multiple points

Hi,

I would like to measure the total distance between multiple points (vertex) that I select. How do I do that or is it not possible?

For example, I have an assembly that I would like to protect by covering it with a big sheet of plastic. To find out what dimensions to cut the plastic to I would like to click along the perimiter of the assembly and have the measure tool add up the distances between the clicked points. Right now I have to measure one length at a time and add them manually.

If not, are there any suggestions to a different way of doing this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Measure distance between multiple points

Try creating a datum curve through the vertices and set the type to "straight". Then you can measure the "length" of the curve feature. Tip, after the first 2 points, select the line type before picking additional points or they will all be curvature segments.

measure_curve.JPG

measure_curve_ii.JPG

Thanks. Good tip. I guess then that there is no real way of using the measuring tool only. Ie without adding new elements to the assembly.

There is another way but it too is very manual.

You can save each measurement results (point to point). This creates a measure-feature You can then create a relation that adds them all together. You could even show this sum on the screen. These values will remain dynamic.