cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Mechanism: Set 'Max Limit' using a Parameter

MikeCavins
12-Amethyst

Mechanism: Set 'Max Limit' using a Parameter

All,

I have a simple sub-assembly with a sliding mechanism constraint.  I want to alter/set the 'maximum limit' of my constraint using a parameter.  I want to test 2 conditions, one where the slider moves between 0 and 300 and another where the slider will move between 0 and 500.  If I could control the max limit with a parameter I could switch between conditions easier than editing the constraint.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mike

Creo 4.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeCavins)

Unfortunately many of the dimensions and other settings in Mechanism are not exposed for control by relations.

Two possible workarounds:

1. Create two completely separate constraint sets and then switch which set it active via component relations. (See this section of the help docs.)
  2. Create a slot connection using a point and curve and then control the curve length with relations.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeCavins)

Unfortunately many of the dimensions and other settings in Mechanism are not exposed for control by relations.

Two possible workarounds:

1. Create two completely separate constraint sets and then switch which set it active via component relations. (See this section of the help docs.)
  2. Create a slot connection using a point and curve and then control the curve length with relations.
MikeCavins
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

MikeCavins
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

I accepted the response from @TomU as the solution because the answer is most likely, 'no, you can't control that with a parameter'.  Also his second suggestion is the work around that I used and it's pretty simple too.

So, thanks Tom!

Mike

Yes, of course it's not "easy", but this is quite possible.  If you don't know the name of the parameter, you can look it up by using the Insert -> from list function in the relations editor (or click on the [ ] icon in the editor's toolbar)

Then the dialog box called "Select Parameter" will pop up; change the search mode to Look in "Connection", and then select the relevant one in the graphics area or in the model tree.  Then the list of parameters related to your connection will be displayed and you'll be able to select the "_MAXIMUM_LIMIT" one to be inserted into your relations.

jbush
11-Garnet
(To:pausob)

Fantastic, this worked and is saving me a lot of time updating motion limit parameters. Thank you for pointing it out even with the question already marked (incorrectly) as answered! 

Top Tags