cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Merge two Parts (surface connect?)

dmojay
7-Bedrock

Merge two Parts (surface connect?)

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to merge a wing I made to a fuselage. I figured out how to place the wing in relation to the fuselage (thanks to some very helpful forum folks on here) but it is not flush, of course. I want to merge the two surfaces but I can't figure out how to do so. Attached is a picture of what I'm looking at. As you can see it's just sort of floating there. 
Edit: I figured out the problem! The wing's airfoil is too complicated to do a surface connect. I have to attach it to a simple shape. Then attach that to the fuselage. They do this in most aircraft.

creo q.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:dmojay)

In the part file, highlight the edge of the surface and the Extend icon will become available.

It is as simple as it sounds, it extends surfaces.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Merge from within an assembly is managed under that "Get Data" tab.

You activate the model you want to inherit to. 

Then use the Merge function under the Get Data tab to determine the type of Merge you are after. 

With will send the selected geometry to the active file where is does the Boolean operation requested.

This operation can also fail if there is a problem with the operation. 

To actually have them intersect, you could Extend the surfaces to intersect so they may be joined.

Thank you for the reply. How do I use the Extend tool? 

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

In the part file, highlight the edge of the surface and the Extend icon will become available.

It is as simple as it sounds, it extends surfaces.

Top Tags