cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Mirror

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Mirror

Greetings,

I had not used the "save as mirror..." option in Creo 3.0 until yesterday. Just never had the need for it. I used to mirror via a dummy assembly.

I used to make a dummy assembly and mirror thru the assembly plane. I created a block, saved as mirror (independent), erased original. I suspected maybe if I now saved the mirror, it would create the original because it was created from it. Even though I stated independent. it did not. The only thing different about the mirrored part is that it has a feature called "Mirrored Merge id 135". If you delete that feature it removes everything. It is fine I suppose to have that feature along for the ride. Perhaps? I was wondering if there are any downsides to using mirror, as far as file copying, etc. Or does this simply now stand alone with the added feature. It's odd to me that it is there if it really is independent.

Thanks,

WayneF

5 REPLIES 5
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:wfalco)

The mirror-save is a result of an included feature that in every other CAD system is referred to as Boolean Operations.  In this case, PTC simply used a trick of reversing signs and used their version of Boolean Merge to create a new part.  Notice that you also have very little control over how it mirrors!

I have not found a simpler way to manage mirrored parts.  It is not a big part of my normal workflow.  On the occasion that I do need a true mirror, I can do one of two things; just manage it as a separate part (the simple means) or tie it back through the assembly and make it a dependent model in the next level assembly.  Maintaining a mirrored part that requires a drawing... that I will leave for the absolute last option.  I don't like restarting drawings and all the same file dependencies will remain.

What I am say is that I find little advantage in mirrored-saves.  If it is for something quick and dirty, maybe then.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks for the great response Tom!

Ah, Yeah no control over mirror plane. I suppose. Not sure if that matters or not.

When was this mirror feature added? Creo 2.0?

I had seen this, may have tried it. Never really did anything with it. I've not had use for mirrors in a bit. I personally hate left/right hand parts. I try to make one part work for either side if possible. Someone will always want to make one the same but slightly different features. Then the headaches begin.

Back in the day I would create a dummy assembly. I would assemble part 1. Then create mirror part 2 in dummy assy. I would keep this assembly under ..._mirror.asm.  This is to keep all relations away from main assemblies they would go into. Less headaches copying files later in Windchill for new similar designs. The choice of dependent or not is a whole other issue.

You can also just do the dummy assembly, then mirror copy as part 2. Open part 2 and erase dummy assembly. Now it stands alone. I think if you save the dummy assembly the datum in part 2 may or may not still be tied back to the dummy assembly?

So, I guess I need to experiment further with this.

Wayne

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:wfalco)

@wfalco wrote:

Ah, Yeah no control over mirror plane. I suppose. Not sure if that matters or not. 

You have no control over the mirror plane regardless of how you create it.  Try it with an assembly plane and then open the part and set it to default view.  You'll find that it's the same default orientation regardless of what assy plane you choose.

@wfalco wrote:

When was this mirror feature added? Creo 2.0?

I'm not sure, but in my recollection it's been there as long as I've been using Creo / Proe.  Maybe the direct save as mirror is newer, I'm not sure.

@wfalco wrote:

I personally hate left/right hand parts. I try to make one part work for either side if possible. Someone will always want to make one the same but slightly different features. Then the headaches begin. 

Actually, this is workable.  You can create a family table in the parent part with the features you don't want mirrored removed in one instance.  You can then redefine the Mirrored Merge feature to use that instance instead.  I use it all the time, it works well.  For example, a RH part with an embedded company logo that I need a LH part of.  I create an instance without the logo, mirror that and then add back the logo in the mirrored part.

Having a universal part is better, but not always practical.   We are developing automotive interiors and the form of the RH side and the LH side of the center console need to me exactly mirrored as do the RH & LH door panels and more.  THese will always need to be exact or near exact mirrors. Save as mirror works great here.

@wfalco wrote:

You can also just do the dummy assembly, then mirror copy as part 2. Open part 2 and erase dummy assembly. Now it stands alone. I think if you save the dummy assembly the datum in part 2 may or may not still be tied back to the dummy assembly? 

The old trick was to create the dummy assy and create the mirrored part by using a plane in the parent part, not an assy plane.  That would avoid parent child relationships between the mirrored part and the dummy assy.  If you use an assy plane there is a parent child relationship and if you discard the assy I think that can create issues.  I'm not sure how independent vs. dependant changes that, I pretty much always want my mirrored parts dependant.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks Doug, for answering all that 🙂

I knew someone was in the auto industry that had to deal with this on a regular basis.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:dgschaefer)

Thanks Doug. Good stuff. I can see if your situation calls for left/right then you'd best have a good approach to it.

I don't have much call for it where I am now.

This actually started when a co-worked asked me how to mirror a part and they did not care for the original. I showed him how I did it. It worked fine. Then this quick draw method was tried and I looked dopey for doing it in too many moves. Sooo...I wanted to know what the draw backs are using it.

Top Tags