cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Modelling on a human head

shopperton
1-Newbie

Modelling on a human head

Hi,

I have a human head in STL format and am attempting to Creo some head-wear. Is there any way of converting an STL into a Creo part file that can be used to drop curves onto? I have tried using the Shrinkwrap method but the results are too inaccurate.

Or alternatively, does anyone know of a head model available for use in Creo Parametric?

Many thanks,

Sam

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

I've downloaded FreeCAD and attempted to create a solid from the mesh, however whenever i do so, the software stops responding. After attempting again on the highest tolerance available (10) I am still having trouble. I appreciate that the head is a very complex surface, but should it be taking this long?

Please see link to STL https://grabcad.com/library/head--4/files#

Thanks again,

Sam

Sam,

1.]

Conversion can take hours for complex models. Run conversion during night...

2.]

I do not have an account at Grabcad, therefore I can't download STL file.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Ok great, thanks for your help. Will update tomorrow.

Sam

Martin has the right idea. FreeCAD does pretty well with this. Something Creo is definitely lacking!

Be patient. This does take a lot of processing to recognize the full closed boundary.

It's been running for about 14 hours now and still 'not responding'. It's a fairly powerful custom-built PC which makes it seem quite odd. Do you know if there any human heads available online for use in Creo? It's for non-comercial use (major project at university). In desperate need!

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

Google returned:

Human Head - SOLIDWORKS - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

• can be directly opened in Creo Parametric 3.0 >>> UNFORTUNATELLY an ATTEMPT to open this file FAILED.
  • can be directly opened in Creo Parametric 2.0 32-bit when you install Solidworks Explorer 32-bit available for free

Human Head 3D CAD Model Download | 3D CAD Browser

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Sam,

did you consider using Freestyle command (available in Creo for free) to create simple head model by yourself ?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags