cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Modifying references - Constraint type changes

Adam13
6-Contributor

Modifying references - Constraint type changes

Hi!

When I try to change a Distance reference in the Placement tab, the constraint type changes from Distance to Coincident. It's like Creo treats Coincident as default and sets all new or edited constraints as "THIS SHOULD USE THE DEFAULT VALUE". Is there a way to get Creo to keep the constrain type, after a reference change, when it's previously been set?

To clarify: I've got two parts where the bottom of the top part has been constrained to have a distance to the top of the bottom part with a offset value. Let's say I want to change the reference on the bottom part and have the distance to the bottom surface instead of the top. If I make this change via Edit definitionPlacement tab Creo changes the constraint type to Coincident (but musteriousluy keeps the value offset value greyed out in the box). Why?

Before reference change

After reference change

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mcestnik
13-Aquamarine
(To:Adam13)

It's a config.pro option. You probably have auto_constr_always_use_offset set to never. That's why it changes it to coincident. If you set it to No it should work OK.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

No, and it's maddening.  The software should not change the design intent on its own.

You may want to "Kudo" this idea:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Assembly-constraints-should-not-change-to-coincident-when-set-to/idi-p/456284

In the comments there is a work around.  It's a bit of a kludge, but it looks like it allows you to keep the value anyway:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Assembly-constraints-should-not-change-to-coincident-when-set-to/idc-p/456294/highlight/true#M1661

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Adam13
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

Thank you! Good to know that it's Creos fault and not mine.

I kudo'd the idea you linked. We'll see what the future holds 🙂 

mcestnik
13-Aquamarine

It's a config.pro option. You probably have auto_constr_always_use_offset set to never. That's why it changes it to coincident. If you set it to No it should work OK.

Adam13
6-Contributor
(To:mcestnik)

Oh, that seems to work! We had auto_constr_always_use_offset set to never, so I tried changing it to "no" and now Creo doesn't automatically change the constraint to Coincide. Does this affect anything else (might be a broad question) which means I need to think twice before changing this config value?

mcestnik
13-Aquamarine

It does affect assembly process. Assemble constraint will change in regards to distance between two assembling parts. If parts are close together constraint will be automatically set to coincident, farther apart it will be set distance...

Adam13
6-Contributor
(To:mcestnik)

I see. Thank you!

Top Tags