Mostly, we keep the title of our parts and assemblies reasonably short.
As a result, when we show the &title parameter in our drawing format, it fits nicely.
Occasionally, though, we just can't keep them short enough, so they end up as two lines.
slide carriage plate with locking device and slide
I make that 51 characters long.
We split that into 2 lines:
slide carriage plate with
locking device and slide
However, there seems to be no easy way to make a parameter have 2 lines of text.
I have seen people just type in the 2nd line, whilst using the parameter fo the 1st line.
I usually create a new parameter - &title_line_2 - and add that into the format.
Sometimes, I just reduce the text size on the drawing.
It's a work-around, though and others are not always diligent enough, or don't have time, to do the same.
Equally, the reduced text size is not to standard.
What is the proper solution?
Somebody out there has solved this problem.
In addition, I am comfortable that, when we migrate to Creo 3.0, the new, totally re-vamped, class-leading, Autocad-crushing Pro/detail look-alike (Yes, tongue ever so slightly in cheek) will have this and all other imaginable drafting issues and problems addressed.
Until then, however, I am keen to hear your suggestions.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I do the same as you, using &description, &description_line_2, &description_line_3. I have, at one point in the past, been able to concatenate string parameters, but I can't remember in what context, or how I did it. I will see if I can find an example of how and why I did that.
I do, however, have those parameters in the drawing format, and marked as designated in my start parts, so that when I go to create a new part (or a co-worker does), the dialog box pops up wanting entries for those parameters. More often than not, I will leave the second and third lines blank, but they're always there, just in case.
I do not have Windchill, but I understand that "designate" has special meaning for Windchill.
Message was edited by: Tracy Hockenhull - Added info.
We do the same and use a relation to get one long parameter out of those.
DESCRIPTION = DESCRIPTION1 + " " + DESCRIPTION2 + " " +DESCRIPTION3
I have used separate tables in the format for dual line text. Since you cannot segregate the text in parameters as to what belongs on line 1 and what belongs on line 2, I give the option at the relations level. Either enter oneline_description or description_1 and description_2. This way you can have the oneline_description centered or a two line description without regard to the length of the 1st line (to force wrap). IIRC, you also have trouble forcing a wrap -if- the variable for the format table is not long but your assigned value is. The wrap is ignored for the actual entered text. This may have been corrected, but be aware of this possibility.
I also have to do this often with material or finish callouts. Most times they take up only 1 line, but sometimes they require modifiers below.
With established clients, I make the formats with relation driven data entry. I really do not like entering data manually in the format because it is too easy to overlook. Of course, this can get really involved.
Wider title blocks.
Better than that, an independent Wiki that collects all the information that isn't necessary on the drawing.
No one really needs "Bracket, left, top, next to the big part, no not that big part, the other one" as a title, no matter how large the need for uniqueness is. That's what part numbers and invoice and quote numbers are for.
I like Wikis for storing and retrieving the other information. Wiki (rhymes with Tiki, as in Tiki torch), meaning quick, is a great place for the narrative about a part. What does it do? Why is it aluminum? Why did it replace that other part? All the information that puts a new car in every engineer's driveway at least once every 10 to 25 years costs big bucks. It can't all go into the title block, so a Wiki site is the way to go.
Please note that while the word wrap is now in there, Parameters themselves are still limited to 80 Characters. Please see and vote up my idea to remove the 80 carachter barrier.
Looks link got converted wrong when it was recognized.
This one was created with the web tool to select the Idea Directly. That is why the Lightblub appears. The Link Above WILL WORK.
Copy the link and paste it into the browser and you can see the defect in the link - it's been reported that the links are munged many times.
"http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3077" is what the original link looks like to the browser.
You can also see the links in Firefox when you hover over them, not just the HREF text for the link.