cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Multi-Line Title

JWayman
1-Newbie

Multi-Line Title

Mostly, we keep the title of our parts and assemblies reasonably short.

As a result, when we show the &title parameter in our drawing format, it fits nicely.

Occasionally, though, we just can't keep them short enough, so they end up as two lines.

An example:

slide carriage plate with locking device and slide

I make that 51 characters long.

We split that into 2 lines:

slide carriage plate with

locking device and slide

However, there seems to be no easy way to make a parameter have 2 lines of text.

I have seen people just type in the 2nd line, whilst using the parameter fo the 1st line.

I usually create a new parameter - &title_line_2 - and add that into the format.

Sometimes, I just reduce the text size on the drawing.

It's a work-around, though and others are not always diligent enough, or don't have time, to do the same.

Equally, the reduced text size is not to standard.

What is the proper solution?

Somebody out there has solved this problem.

In addition, I am comfortable that, when we migrate to Creo 3.0, the new, totally re-vamped, class-leading, Autocad-crushing Pro/detail look-alike (Yes, tongue ever so slightly in cheek) will have this and all other imaginable drafting issues and problems addressed.

Until then, however, I am keen to hear your suggestions.

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:JWayman)

But in Creo 2, they added the ability to wrap parameters in a cell. Have you right clicked on it and selected the "wrap text" option in the right click menu. It worked for me.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I do the same as you, using &description, &description_line_2, &description_line_3. I have, at one point in the past, been able to concatenate string parameters, but I can't remember in what context, or how I did it. I will see if I can find an example of how and why I did that.

I do, however, have those parameters in the drawing format, and marked as designated in my start parts, so that when I go to create a new part (or a co-worker does), the dialog box pops up wanting entries for those parameters. More often than not, I will leave the second and third lines blank, but they're always there, just in case.

I do not have Windchill, but I understand that "designate" has special meaning for Windchill.

Tracy

Message was edited by: Tracy Hockenhull - Added info.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We do the same and use a relation to get one long parameter out of those.

DESCRIPTION = DESCRIPTION1 + " " + DESCRIPTION2 + " " +DESCRIPTION3

StephenW
23-Emerald II

But in Creo 2, they added the ability to wrap parameters in a cell. Have you right clicked on it and selected the "wrap text" option in the right click menu. It worked for me.

That's great!

Yet another good reason to get our act together and move from WF4 to CP2!

Thanks, Stephen.

I have used separate tables in the format for dual line text. Since you cannot segregate the text in parameters as to what belongs on line 1 and what belongs on line 2, I give the option at the relations level. Either enter oneline_description or description_1 and description_2. This way you can have the oneline_description centered or a two line description without regard to the length of the 1st line (to force wrap). IIRC, you also have trouble forcing a wrap -if- the variable for the format table is not long but your assigned value is. The wrap is ignored for the actual entered text. This may have been corrected, but be aware of this possibility.

I also have to do this often with material or finish callouts. Most times they take up only 1 line, but sometimes they require modifiers below.

With established clients, I make the formats with relation driven data entry. I really do not like entering data manually in the format because it is too easy to overlook. Of course, this can get really involved.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Wider title blocks.

Better than that, an independent Wiki that collects all the information that isn't necessary on the drawing.

No one really needs "Bracket, left, top, next to the big part, no not that big part, the other one" as a title, no matter how large the need for uniqueness is. That's what part numbers and invoice and quote numbers are for.

I like Wikis for storing and retrieving the other information. Wiki (rhymes with Tiki, as in Tiki torch), meaning quick, is a great place for the narrative about a part. What does it do? Why is it aluminum? Why did it replace that other part? All the information that puts a new car in every engineer's driveway at least once every 10 to 25 years costs big bucks. It can't all go into the title block, so a Wiki site is the way to go.

DHLewis
11-Garnet

John,

Please note that while the word wrap is now in there, Parameters themselves are still limited to 80 Characters. Please see and vote up my idea to remove the 80 carachter barrier.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3077

David

Something is wrong with your link, David. I have mainenance and can post ideas but I cannot find yours.

Looks link got converted wrong when it was recognized.

Try this:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3077

This one was created with the web tool to select the Idea Directly. That is why the Lightblub appears. The Link Above WILL WORK.

Copy the link and paste it into the browser and you can see the defect in the link - it's been reported that the links are munged many times.

"http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3077" is what the original link looks like to the browser.

You can also see the links in Firefox when you hover over them, not just the HREF text for the link.

Top Tags