I am creating a duck decoy for a hunting product company. It will have functionality and internal components, but first I would like to tackle the modeling of a good looking decoy. I have the form complete, now i need to add feathers as a texture. I tried assembling the feathers one by one in an assembly, and then merging with the main form, but many of the feather will fail, and in some cases I cant get the merge to take no matter what I do.
I tried also making one and copy/paste special to move and place, but it was alot of work to place them and then some would fail also. Im just curious if anyone has ever done anything like this? see image..
This is a very ambitious undertaking in Creo. You could make a sketch of the feather into section files that can be called up for each feather and trimmed to the boundaries of the previous. You can use the sketch's symbol library to make recalling them easier. It is a drag and drop interface.
I am also assuming you are using the "taper offset" feature. This helps keep the feature normal to the surface.
I understand it is an ambitious project, but if I get it done then it will open alot of doors for decoy options.
I have actually never heard of the taper offset feature. Can you tell me about it?
Merging in an assembly almost worked. It looked great, there were just certain areas where it refused the merge.
The taper is an option in the offset feature. It allows you create a sketch and map it onto a surface/quilt. The offset will happened on the surface. This will give your feathers a curve along the surface rather than flat.
I might also suggest you create the "ridge line" of each feather layer. I mean that for each course, you have across the top you have the tips from course to course slightly tilted. This would give you the outline of the feathers for each course. The it is simply a matter of "texturing" each feather with the offset feature. This will give it the "layered" look.
this sounds like it might work. I'll give it a shot and let you know my results.
After trying almost everything. I ended up using a primitive by copy/pasting/relocating over and over. Not exactly what I wanted, but it works and is flexible.