cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Need some basic theory/explanation on wiring harnesses.

smandel
5-Regular Member

Need some basic theory/explanation on wiring harnesses.

Hi there. I'm trying to learn how to use this cabling thing and the PTCU tutorials leave a lot to be desired. Of course, it seems insanely complicated, so I guess it's hard to cover everything. Anyway, I have a hard time understanding the structure of stuff. I make the wiring assembly with the connectors/terminals and the routed wires. Then, I'm supposed to make a "manufacturing" assembly. But the first thing I do in that assembly is create another assembly. I am so confused as to why I make an assembly inside of an assembly. There seems to be no way to add anything under the "manufacturing" assembly, so why is it there? The PTCU thing runs you through the steps, but there's no real explanation as to the theory or the why.

My other issue is that we have a product with several individual wires that are not connected but are purchased in a packet as a "kit". So, technically, they are not a harness, they are just a bunch of wires with terminals. What is the best way to flatten them all out and create a print that is for the "kit"? Not sure if that makes sense.

Any insight into the organizational structure of this wiring thing would be awesome. Thank you so much for the help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:smandel)

Susan

I agree with you regarding the PTCU Cable unit it is lacking in some explanation. I have had to teach myself cabling over the last couple of weeks and it is quite confusing and lacking in logic.

Regarding your kit I think the term "Harness" is quite broad so no reason why you can't create a harnes and spool for each wire.

One of our guys got some quite good into Pro-Cable by watching you tube videos (blocked on our network so he viewed them at home).

the mfg assy model is where you can configure the flattened harness layout (harness shape and connector position), so it seems to make sense that an intermediate assembly for the purpose of manipulating the flattened state is needed, but maybe this process could use a bit of improvement for the user interface, I just tried flattening a cable with only one connector and it works, so it should with a lug connector, did you ever get any other help with this?, outside of this forum? hope so, it looks like you've been waiting a while

jstone
4-Participant
(To:lloyola)

Susan,

There is the manufacturing assembly of the flattened state as well as the flattened state.  Though I do not understand why the structure is the way it is but the flattened state allows you to pick a sub-harness to flatten or the whole assembly.  The manufacturing assembly lets you add additional components if they are designated and attached to the harness like backshells, ect..  I usually divide up the harness into sub-harnesses as it would be built in manufacturing.  Sometimes there is only one wire in a sub-harness if they are small or individually assembled.

For purchased cables that are either used whole or chopped up and used in a harness I create a spool named with our company's number so it shows up in wire lists or any kind of reporting.  I have generic connectors or other types of termination that are named in a way that they stand out and are not put on a BOM accidently.

Thanks,

smandel
5-Regular Member
(To:smandel)

Thank you all for the comments. I've not gotten any additional help outside of the forum so any input from you all is really appreciated. Every little bit helps clarify for me.

Thanks again.

I uploaded some basic tutorials a while back.  http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/si/topic=244

Top Tags