cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Open drawing of active part

AlexDuggan
1-Newbie

Open drawing of active part

Is there a way in Wildfire 5.0 to open a drawing of the active part or assembly? In the paste, it required an external visual basic script.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
16 REPLIES 16

How can I get this external visual basic script. We are working with Wildfire 4.0 and have the same problems.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:AlexDuggan)

Alex, can you give more details as to what you want to do?

Kevin, I am looking for an easy way to open a drawing (.drw) file of the same name as the active part or assembly. For example, if I have "crankshaft.prt" open and active, I want to open "crankshaft.drw". In solidworks, you can right click on the part name in the feature tree and select "Open Drawing". I can't seem to find anything similar in WF5 and it appears that writing a mapkey to do this requires the use of an external VB script.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:AlexDuggan)

That sounds tricky. That would definitely be a good function to have. For what it's worth, the best shortcut I can think of would be a mapkey that initiates File>Open>and then selects .drw from the drop down menu for file types. That way you can quickly see all drawings in the working directory.

If anybody has VB script for Pro/e I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks.

@Kevin: The method suggested by you sounds very usual.

@Alex: Yes, Pro/E can be customized to create userdefined icons and shortcuts. First method is creating macros which is very common. Secondly, the Pro/E can be incorporated with high end customized options(shortcuts) by coding in VB Script and creating DLL(Dynamic Linked Library) file. Even i'm keen to learn that but its messy to learn creation of DLL file coding language being an mech engineer. Any Software Engineer out here should help. Thanks.

Basavesh, my suggestion was given "for what its worth", meaning that I wish I could offer a better solution. As usual or as common as my suggestion may seem, there is no value in you pointing it out. If your intention was not to be condescending then forgive this reply.

If your drawings have the same name as the part they are documenting, it could easily be achieved with a Web.Link or JLink app. (Both APIs are included with Foundation XE license). If they do not have the same name it is not possible to know which drawings are referencing the part unless you are using PDMLink e.g. Even on creation of drawings, both of the APIs can be used to first query the name of a part, and using that to create the drawing automatically with the same name.

Tom, That is exactly what I am trying to do. I was hoping to find an example script to start from.

No problem, in its 'basic' form this would only contain a few lines of code. I will look for an example program. Are you familiar with setting up a Web.Link or JLink app ?

Alex Duggan

is this still wanted? I have a Web.Link script which opens a drawing with the same name as model

Regards

Juergen

Juergen,

Yes! Do you mind sharing your script?

Hello Dan

I attached a zip-File

So far I tested it only under WF 4.0 - should also work with Creo

Works alos in other direction from drawing --> to model

Best Regards

Juergen

Juergen,

This works very well. Thank You!

Dear Woerner,

how can we install or Run file

Please elaborate.

regards

kunjan patel

Dear kunjan patel

extract the Zip-file. You will get a folder "Open_Model_Drawing" with three subfolders. One of them is "HTML" which contains the file "Open_Drawing_From_Model.html"

Click the file with Left Mouse Butten (keep the butten down) and move it over your Creo/Wildfire Window, there drop the file. Part or drawing will be opened

Best Regards

Juergen

Hi!

I created mapkeys in Creo 2 for opening drawing (with same name as part) of active part / assembly and one for creating new drawing with same name as active part/asm.

It is simple code in creo config.pro file and some in DOS file.

If somebody needs them, I can send this (I don't want to share it on internet yet; it is not tested enough and via e-mail I hope that I will get fedback about bugs - now after some tests works perfect ), my e-mail address :

em.jpg

Top Tags