cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Opening PDF Files With SA

rck.bhn
1-Newbie

Opening PDF Files With SA

I found a simple method to open a PDF file with Smart Assembly that I thoughtI would pass on. We are using this totie pdfcatalog pages to library parts.

Using variables as part of the pdfpath/filename:

\"+SA_CATALOG_FILE_VALUE+".pdf"

Or entering a pdf file name directly:

test.pdf"

I noticed with the PDF X-Change Viewer program I am using, whether the file opens full screen or not depends on the state when the reader was closedfrom the last file opened manually. There may be other ways to control this with the DOS command.

Rick Behne

Hawk Technology Ltd.

Mobile: 309/236-7380

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Design well!

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that post. FYI - We often use the PLUGIN command to pull all sorts of external resources into the process with SmartAssembly applications. There are times where we've used it to call up an external program that generates a variety of information that then gets read into SmartAssembly using a text, XML or even Excel files.

PLUGIN is a very powerful, very under-used command line in my opinion.

Joel Beckley

Application Engineer

SIGMAXIM

One thing to note, use the double back slash for a back slash to be safe (since the back slash is an escape sequence for other characters). Sometimes it seems to work without but has tripped me up before. Updated lines below.

"+SA_CATALOG_FILE_VALUE+".pdf"

test.pdf"

In Reply to Rick Behne:

One thing to note, use the double back slash for a back slash to be safe (since the back slash is an escape sequence for other characters). Sometimes it seems to work without but has tripped me up before. Updated lines below.

"+SA_CATALOG_FILE_VALUE+".pdf"

test.pdf"

Top Tags