cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Overlapping Parts in Assembly

Norm
6-Contributor

Overlapping Parts in Assembly

Hi,

I have an assembly with overlapping parts and I'm trying to remove the overlapping material from one of the parts only. After doing some search most answers were as follows:

"In your assem activate your main part. copy all the surfaces of the secondary part. use solidify to cut the quilt from the main part. Also, have you tried to merge the parts in your assem? (edit>component operations>merge)"

I'm not sure what that means exactly but these are the steps which I have done. 

- Component Operations > Copy. 

When doing this I cannot select the part which needs to stay in its original state. 

I tried something else which is:

- Components Operations > Boolean Operations > Cut

Still I cannot select the part which needs to stay in its original state. 

Does anyone know the reason for this problem? Can anyone suggest any other solutions please.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Norm)

Since I don't know what you are working on, my first question would be pretty basic.

Why are the parts overlapping? Just re-constrain the placement constraints so they aren't overlapping or redefine the parts so they don't overlap.

The ways you've mentioned sometimes have issues with model accuracy. If the method has worked in the past, but now is not working, maybe the accuracy needs to be adjusted (absolute instead of relative). This would especially be true if the material you are trying to remove is very small compared to the size of your parts.

Accuracy can be found under file- -prepare-model properties- accuracy change. Make sure you save before making accuracy changes as sometimes you can get failures that are difficult to recover from.

Top Tags