cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

PARAMETERS: NAME OF THE FATHER IN THE SON

mmadrid
1-Newbie

PARAMETERS: NAME OF THE FATHER IN THE SON

HELLO, DISCUSS MY PRECARIOUS ENGLISH AND GOOGLE TRANSLATE, I HAVE THE FOLLOWING CONCERN:
HOW CAN I SHOW ON A TABLE, IN THE PART OR PIECE, THE NAME OF THE ASSEMBLY THAT CONTAINS IT (THE FATHER).

ANY HELP IS WELCOME AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mmadrid)

The only method I know of is to manually enter that information into a parameter(s).

I suppose you could write some fancy SQL code that would extract it from the DB and then import it into a parameter, but it would not be easy.

My question is WHY? Every time you use that component in an assembly, you need to revise the component to add another parent assembly. A good PLM system should have a where used function that will tell you that information.

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

No such option available except, as Ben mentioned only option is manually adding the information. What will be the value if part is assembled in multiple assemblies. 

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

In the assy you could add the following relation:

father_name:XX = rel_model_name

where XX is the session ID of the part that you want to add the assy name to. You can determine that by opening the relations editor and selecting Show > Session ID > part and picking the part you want.

That will create a parameter in the part named "father_name" that you can use in your table, but it will only update if you open the assy and regenerate it.  It also creates another parent child relationship between the two. 

You'll have to do this manually for every part in your assy.  Also, if a part exists in more than one assy and that relation exists in each assy it will change value based on which assy was last opened and regenerated.

Frankly, while this will technically work, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble that comes with it.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags