cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PTC Simulate changes file type of other programs

sferns
1-Newbie

PTC Simulate changes file type of other programs

Hi all,

I am having problems with PTC Simulate overwriting other types of files that have similar file name extensions, i.e. .prt.  Originally this appeared to be limited to non-Creo programs. Recently, files generated in PTC Parametric 3.0 M060 appear only as Simulate program files.  This includes several .stp files that I imported to Parametric, modified and saved as Parametric part and assembly files. These files resulted in several hundred files that could only be opened by Simulate, of which I don't have a functional copy.

Parametric files saved as simulate.PNG

Open with DB.PNG

I can use built in Windows capabilities to change individual files back to the correct program type.  This takes a long time, however.  New files have the same problem the next day.

I have tried to go through the sales channel and Tech Support, but have not received any meaningful assistance to date.

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Ferns

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:sferns)

PTC creates associations that can be found in the Registry to suggest the applicable program to open those files with. Last time I checked PTC captured versions from 1 to somewhere over 1000.

My preference is to delete all the Windows Registry associations as there is little value to opening the application and files by double clicking. AFAIK PTC apps don't care about the Windows Registry association; they can find the file-type from the Open and Save interface. I think even drag-and-drop is unaffected by eliminating, but I think drag-and-drop of files onto CAD applications is a gimmick and don't do it anyway.

For non-versioned files, like .stp and .step, you can right click and select Open With and Select Program and choose the program you want and keep the selection "Use this ..." and Windows will change the association.

Thanks, David, for your response.  I am taking steps to make the changes you discussed. 

However, there is a related problem.. When I do a manual change procedure, shown in the second screenshot (above), It does not have the option of selecting a choice that will associate Creo Parametric 3.0 files instead of Simulate files.  Do you know how I can get to the Creo Parametric 3.0 files?  In particular, I am looking for an option that can associate files with the *.PRT extension.

Regards,

Steve Ferns

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Did you miss "Browse"?  I suppose one should go to the batch file that is typically used to prep the environment. Still, I find it useless to have any files related to Creo.

Additionally, PTC doesn't create files with a .prt extension. They create files with a .1, .2, .3. ,4, ... .999, ...1xxx extensions.

If it looks like that in your folders, uncheck the 'Hide File Extensions" button in the folder properties.

gkoch
1-Newbie

Hello Stephen,

if the posts from David helped you, don't forget to mark one as Correct Answer. This way the community will know the question is answered.

Thanks,

Gunter

Top Tags