cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Parameters Stored Only at Assembly Level?

byork
17-Peridot

Parameters Stored Only at Assembly Level?

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to store a value/parameter for component/sub-assembly at a top assembly that will not need to be stored in the part or sub-assembly?  Feature name works close to what I want but I don't want to use feature name because we use that for other things.  Also I can't have to components with the same feature name.

Any help would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:byork)

How would the component/sub-assembly use this parameter?  What about when the component/sub-assembly is opened without the upper level assembly in session?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Isn't that a component parameter in assemblies?

comp-param.jpg

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

I thought about that too, but I think the component value for sub-assembly components would be stored at the sub-assembly level, not at the top assembly level.

I wonder if notebook functionality (previously called layout) with "declare" would be useful.  Of course then you're actually modifying all the lower level components/sub-assemblies.

byork
17-Peridot

I tried the component parameter and it does require storing the parameter in the sub-assembly. So it would work great at the assembly level just can't go into the sub-assemblies.

GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst

If I understood the problem correctly that you may want to take a look at flexible components. This way you can have a parameter value in the assembly context and a different value when the part is opened by itself.

flex_comp.jpg

The parameter need to exist in the part but it's value is independent from the assembly.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:GabrielZaha)

Keep in mind that as the number of flexible components goes up, Creo performance goes down.  A hidden family table gets created for each item that has flexibility defined.

byork
17-Peridot
(To:GabrielZaha)

I had thought about flexible components as well, but I can't add the parameter to the parts. That is revise the part to add the new parameter.

Top Tags