cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Part Simplified rep?

A.DelNegro
4-Participant

Part Simplified rep?

FYI, I'm only on WF3.

I can add a new view with the sim rep but can't seem to change the old
view. When I go to ViewStates, the simp rep is grayed out... In an
assembly, this is not the case.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
jstone
4-Participant
(To:A.DelNegro)

Tony,
Use layers to control sketches in parts. I never liked simplified reps at the part level because they don't work in drawings well. Simplified reps are for assemblies. Parts work with family tables for features too but if using a PLM system for rev control negates the practical usability of family tables.
Thanks,
jef

I don't use simplified reps, but I agree with Jeff and recommend controlling this with layers. You can control the layer status of each view as desired, so I would hide the sketch in all the views ( the main drawing layer) except the new one for showing the engraving. I have also used offsets to create the actual engraving so it is actually in the part, but then that is not always possible depending on the artwork and time, etc.

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International

-----End Original Message-----
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just to clarify something that was alluded to earlier. Part level simplified reps are treated like separate models. To create them you have to “add” the simplified rep to the drawing the same way you would add another model. Once that model/rep is active you can create views for it. You cannot change the view from showing the rep or not showing the rep just like you cannot take an existing view and switch it from one model to another. Again, this behavior is specific to part level simplified reps and the views of them.

Tom U.
A.DelNegro
4-Participant

But this said, If I have a family table I can switch the model for a view. While in an assembly drawing, I can switch both a family instance as well as the simplified rep. on an existing view.

Doesn’t really follow that I shouldn’t be able to swap the simplified rep on a drawing…

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yep. Go figure. Part level simplified reps work well, creating drawing views of them, not so much. Still, it is an improvement over creating an assembly of a single part just so you can create a drawing view of the simplified rep (think WF2).
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I was thinking, “I switch simplified reps all the time in drawings”. So I did a quick test and yup, I was right and wrong.

In a drawing of an assembly, you can switch the rep anytime. In a drawing of a part, you can’t switch the rep at all. Just like Tom said, it’s treated like a separate part. It’s odd.

That being said, this is an excellent example of things you should do with layers. Make sure your drawing and model layers are independent of each other. Otherwise you’ll always be fighting with turning them on for the model and off for the drawing (or whichever way you need it to show).

In the drawing setup file (or in the layer status control) set the following:

draw_layer_overrides_model NO
ignore_model_layer_status YES

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The balance in my mind is what is the purpose of the simplified rep? Sometimes it’s helpful to show a view of a model without certain features. If you are trying to “hide” actual features of the solid geometry, layers aren’t an option. Your only choices are a family table or simplified rep. I prefer to minimize the creation of family tables instances that will never be used anywhere except in the drawing, especially since we work in a PDM environment.

P.S. Yes, I realize that simplified reps are nothing more than “hidden family tables”, but they are just that, hidden, and they don’t appear in Windchill.

Steve

You may want to explore Combined Views with Simplified Reps.

Although still not as flexible as an assembly rep swap, but this offers some nice options on standalone parts.

Trick, on Z1 image, check the box (Display combined views) and in part mode you will get tabs to switch between.

Set this up on an assembly and now you have more flavors to choose from.

Great for design reviews to switch different things on and off.

JScott

Jeff Lippeth ▪ Mold Design Engineer▪ NyproMold▪ P 847.855.2226

StephenW
23-Emerald II

But I don’t think you can change a drawing view rep once you create the drawing view of a part (assemblies yes, parts no) , not even with combined states.
That was the original question.

[cid:image002.png@01CE7EEB.78732730].

You actually can use 3 different techniques:

Family Table

Simplified Rep

Or Flexible Components

All of them work similarly, SUPPRESSING features, parameters, varying dimensions.

Family Tables ideally with parts with FIXED variables & parameters such as screws.

Part Simplified Reps might work best when parts go thru processes like EP, or Shape setting & you don't want the headache of each item in PDM.

Flexible components are exactly what you would think - Flexible, with parameters that could use an infinite value.

I use all of them. I encourage an investigation into each & how you could leverage each.

Family Tables are old hat most people understand them. Simplfied Reps work much like Families.

You have to remember that features are hierarchichal, history based.

~CP Hendsbee

I suggest the following:

DRAW_LAYER_OVERRIDES_MODEL YES
IGNORE_MODEL_LAYER_STATUS YES

The first isn't to be taken literally. The drawing layer does override the
model layer, but only in the context of the drawing. And then only if you
create layers in the drawing having the same names as the ones in the
model.

This is a good thing. By actually creating a layer in the drawing for every
layer in the models, the drawing has a place to permanently set the status
of layers independent of the models. If someone later deletes all the
layers in the models and recreates them, the drawing does not loose the
status' that had been set there.

The second option prevents changes to the status of model layers from
changing the drawing layer status settings.

> ** **
>
> *From:* Williams, Steve C [
Top Tags