Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part replacement in an assembly ?

Part replacement in an assembly ?

What is the proper way to replace a part within an assembly "without" having to redo the constraints? Seems like there could be an easy way to do this and perhaps I'm missing something? Currently on the component or sub-assembly I want to replace, I will: RMB>replace> Replace by manually or family table. I searched the forum, but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks Gary
7 REPLIES 7

RE: Part replacement in an assembly ?

Hi, If ur replacing the component with another unrelated component, then you have to specify the assembly relations again. RMB-replace-select unrelated component in the replace tab- browse the new component- ok - u have to specify new assembly relations. If you want to replace a component(family table) then you need not specify assembly relations it will be automatically replaced(as the refernces will be same). RMB-replace-select family table-browse for the instance u want to replace-ok Rgds SPP

SPP, There's nothing from PTC's software end to make this task easier? Intralink? Gary

"gary p." wrote:

SPP, There's nothing from PTC's software end to make this task easier? Intralink? Gary

I usually use 'Rename' option: - Open the part from the assembly model tree (RMB>open) - Select File>Rename - Check 'Rename in session'. - Write new name, save and close or go back to assembly and save it. Two mayor benefits: 1. There´s no need to redo the constraints. 2. You keep the 'old' part in your hard disk. At the same time you can also rename the drawing. It is great to create a new version of the part. I use a lot.

Which ever way you look at it, Pro/E is unable to replace one component with an unrelated component 1005 correctly without some assistance. If you are replacing a component only once I would suggest having both components placed in the assembly and re-routing the children from one to another. If you are replacing one component lots of times with another unrelated component AND you have AAX, create a functional interchange assembly where you can define equivalent placement references.

If both parts are not in the same family table, the placement is tedious. But if they share the same coordinate system, I find that placing a part or assembly using the coordinate systems works the best. It's even easier if you name that specific coordinate system so you can find it easily. That's one constraint and it will fully locks the part assumeing you need three constraints to fully place it. That can take a lot of mouse clicks, let alone finding the right datums. Another saving tip is to use the copy geom of the coordinate system from one part to another so you never need to create a new coordinate system for every part. For instance, you only need one main part that has the right coordinate system and use it for being copied to similar part. T.

You could do the work up fron by replacing your part with a copy in the assembly an then modiy your new copied part. This will copy the same planes and assembly constraints with gauranteed regeneration of your new part. You will still have to see how it is constrained before making your changes on the newly copied part. 1. Select your part in the assy, replace, select the copy tab, enter your new part name, select OK. 2. Open up your new model and make your changes.
Announcements