cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Paste Special part of AAX?

ptc-4019943
1-Newbie

Paste Special part of AAX?

Is "Paste Special" under modeling operations a part of AAX (Advanced Assembly Extension)? I already found out that copying shared data from a file is part of AAX.

My old company had all options and I could do anything. My new company just has the basic Creo Parametric, and I am struggling with some of the things I used to do in the past.

Basically, I have a circular ring that has some bosses attached. I cut it down to a quarter of the ring, and then want to copy and paste special with a mirror to duplicate that quarter of the ring to the other side. I used to do it in WF 5, but paste special is grayed out on my screen.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Doug...

No, Paste Special should not be part of AAX. Remember it's also used in part mode so it's not assembly specific and is definitely not part of the AAX options. The options for Paste Special in assembly mode are a bit limited but if you've used it before in WF5, you already know how to use it. I'm assuming you've selected the geometry you wish to copy/paste first. Try copying and pasting something smaller... maybe just one boss from the ring with the 'special' options. Also, make sure your geometry isn't in a pattern or group... that can complicate issues. I am not in Creo Parametric today or I'd be able to give better advice. I'm kind of going off the cuff on this one.

The Copy Geometry is part of AAX... but you can still do shrinkwraps even without AAX. They offer a sort of "poor man's copy geometry" when you're in an environment without an advanced seat of Pro/E.

If you still can't get it to work, write back. I'll turn off my AAX and see if I can duplicate what you're seeing.

Thanks!

-Brian

Brian -

I made a simple circular extrusion like a wheel and put a boss on one quadrant. I extruded the quadrant with the boss removing the other 3/4 of the wheel. Then I selected the remaining part of the wheel, selected a surface, right clicked and chose "Solid Surfaces". Then I selected COPY and went to select "Paste Special" and it is grayed out. I haven't been able to get the "Paste Special" to show up without being grayed out, so I am assuming it must be tied some how to the basic license that I have.

If you can turn off your AAX and then try this, I would greatly appreciate it. Since I couldn't wait, I had to keep moving and ended up having to create each quadrant of my part individually. A big drain of time.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug...

I'll check it. Your description seems to suggest that if we can't get this to work, there are some other options I can share with you to help you create the same geometry using features I know are available with a basic license of Creo.

I'll get back to you with a result today.

thanks!

-Brian

Hi Doug,

Any reason you chose not to use the mirror command available in both the AAX and non-AAX?

Many times I'll work in the quarter or half of a part.

Click on the name of the part in the Model Tree, then click "mirror", then pick the plane to mirror about...

I too have gone from a full blown license to the basic and encountering the same issues...

Regards,

Bob Barker

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4019943)

Doug,

I second Robert's idea and will give another.

Instead of Paste Special just do regular old Paste. Then, with the Pasted geomtery still selected do another Copy, but this time follow it up with Paste Special. You can then move and/or rotate the new copy.

Regards,

Kevin

Top Tags