cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Pattern feature is gray in assembly (PTC 3.0)

pdegut
1-Newbie

Pattern feature is gray in assembly (PTC 3.0)

The Pattern feature kinda pisses me off.

I am working with an assembly of several pieces and subassemblies. I would like basically to pattern this assembly in a unidirectionnal direction 5 times, which I know how to do.

Problem: for an unexplicable reason, the icon keeps being grey (I cannot select it).

I have tried to change the group hierarchy in Model Tree, to ungroup everything, it does not work.

Even selecting two different pieces makes the Pattern grey.

It would annoy me to do a pattern for EACH single different piece of my assembly.

I have looked to a lot of different posts, but no one seems to resolve my problem. Any one has an idea?

Thank you in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:pdegut)

As you already noted, you can only pattern one "thing" at a time - namely, a component which is itself a part or a sub-assembly.

How about creating a brand-new assembly, and placing in it the assembly you are describing above; it will become a single component which you can pattern as you like...

Another method to try, if you don't want to create another assembly "level":

try grouping the components that make up your repeating "subassembly" and then select this group; is the pattern tool available?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
psobejko
12-Amethyst

As you already noted, you can only pattern one "thing" at a time - namely, a component which is itself a part or a sub-assembly.

How about creating a brand-new assembly, and placing in it the assembly you are describing above; it will become a single component which you can pattern as you like...

Another method to try, if you don't want to create another assembly "level":

try grouping the components that make up your repeating "subassembly" and then select this group; is the pattern tool available?

Hello Paul, thank you for your answer.

I had ended up to find a solution with my problem, by doing what you say:creating a brand-new assembly and import the previous from here

But the other method (grouping the components) what exactly what I was trying (it was the more intuitive for me at the beginning) and it unfortunately does not work. Either selecting two different components with SHIFT touch or grouping led the Patter feature to become grey, which I still find unexplicable.

Anyway, problem resolved for now, thank you!

Pascal

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Funny, the patterning of a group worked for me in a quick "example" test assembly.

Then again: usually I'm able to pattern a pattern of components and yet this test assembly, it didn't work.

Sometimes, the reference pattern is unavailable...

With Creo, I don't know why things work sometimes   - it's something to do with how things are referenced.

Top Tags