cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Problem using 'Extract Model' command in Pro Piping

mbrown-4
3-Visitor

Problem using 'Extract Model' command in Pro Piping

Hello all,

So we've recently switched to modeling piping using the Pro Piping module and it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. I'm currently trying to figure out how to create weldment drawings for a couple runs of pipe, two lengths and an elbow for example. After looking through PTC University's 'Piping Using Creo Parametric 2.0' guide, it seems like the 'extract model' command would help me do that. I could just pick whatever lengths and fittings needed to be in the weldment, combine them into one part, and then make a drawing of that part.

Unfortunately whenever I try to use this command I get the error 'Member creation failed. Solid Construction aborted'. I'm following the tutorial exactly so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

Anyone have any experience using this command or have any other solutions to creating weldment drawings with Pro Piping? Worst case scenario I could just create multiple assemblies and create a separate pipeline in each but that seems like a waste of Pro Piping.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:mbrown-4)

Is it a Spec Driven design? From the Help documentation it sounds as if the option you are trying to use can only be used for Non-Spec Driven designs.

mbrown-4
3-Visitor
(To:Kevin)

It's not. Someone in my office looked into it and it seems like it's because we don't have the Pro Assembly module.

But if anyone has any other suggestions for doing weldment drawings besides doing it all in separate sub-assemblies with separate pipelines I'd appreciate it. At that point it almost seems like individually putting in fittings and pipe lengths, like we did before we got Pro Piping, would be just as easy.

Hi Mark,

I came across the same issue when I started to use piping. For extraction as you are trying to do you need advanced assembly extension or whatever it is now called. I ended up doing a huge project without needing that.

You will need to think about how you structure your product more, in my opinion. I would tend to start with a piping assembly in the top level then inside that do each pipe run as an assembly. I also found that unless you are using Windchill you want to be careful about creating refs to the top level as you will end up pulling in everything. in my case 3000 objects. I find that by measuring transforms and using these as your start and end points you can accurately position the pipeline.

If you have lots of small assemblies in a longer pipeline going through valves etc and you need to do drawings of a section between two flanges for example I would use simplified reps to isolate each section for drawing purposes.

I hope this helps.

Top Tags