cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Procedure for copy whole project with new names(drw,parts,assy)?

mgupta-4
1-Newbie

Procedure for copy whole project with new names(drw,parts,assy)?

Dear All,

Is there any procedure for copying complete project with new name only?

I tried save as backup after opening the main assembly drawing ,but this will copy only main assembly drawing and all parts,all assemblies.

please help.

Manish

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I believe what you are looking for is Save a Copy. With the assembly active select save a copy, you will be prompted to give the assembly a new name, then a box will pop up and this will give you the opportunity to save a copy of each assembly component with a new name also. By saving a copy of the assembly the drawing will also be saved to the new number.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I believe what you are looking for is Save a Copy. With the assembly active select save a copy, you will be prompted to give the assembly a new name, then a box will pop up and this will give you the opportunity to save a copy of each assembly component with a new name also. By saving a copy of the assembly the drawing will also be saved to the new number.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:nsemrau)

This may bring all the drawings too if you have the config option "rename_drawings_with_object" set to "both". This means that both part and assembly drawings with the same name as their part or assy get renamed or copied when the part or assembly gets renamed or copied.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

A coworker mentioned that in a former job, they would create a "packet" drawing of the entire project using the overlay function.

They'd create a new drawing, and then use the overlay command to place each drawing in the project on it's own sheet. Overlay creates a sort of live snapshot of the drawing that updates as the individual drawings. The nice thing is that you can print the entire project and if you do a "backup" of the overlay, you get all the parts, assemblies and drawings of that project.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Olga
1-Newbie
(To:mgupta-4)

1. create a new folder

2. save a new copy of the project folder

1.jpg

3. open a new folder

4. rename all

2.jpg

mgupta-4
1-Newbie
(To:Olga)

hey Olga,

this is not a correct answer because only one main assembly drawing copied by this ,else subassembly drawings not copied by this step.

I already tried all this.

Manish

Olga
1-Newbie
(To:mgupta-4)

save and rename the main assembly drawing?

I work with manufacturing .

Often the problem: object variable inheritance blocked -

sizes locked

Top Tags