cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Query select pick order

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst

Query select pick order

My company switched to WF4 about a year ago and I've had a very annoying issue since we upgraded. I still use the old query select instead of preselect highlighting because it is much faster when dealing with large assemblies. My issue is that the order that query select uses is all wrong and it seems to be different than what I remember in WF2 (the previous version my company used). When I say the order is wrong, I mean that when I try to pick on a surface of a part that is in the front of the model window it defaults to picking edges or vertexs on parts that are several layers behind the part of interest. I seem to remember in WF2 that the default order was surface, edge, vertex, part...in WF4 it seems to be edge, vertex, surface, part.

Is there any way to change the order so that it defaults to surface, edge, vertex, part?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, I'm trying to edit it but the editor has now locked it.

OK, the forum's link posting is properly broken. Copy this text into your URL bar:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1026

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

As far as I'm aware, it's always been 'wrong'.

If you have current Maintenance, you could vote for my Idea on this subject:

I checked the link but it appears to be dead.

Sorry, I'm trying to edit it but the editor has now locked it.

OK, the forum's link posting is properly broken. Copy this text into your URL bar:

Still a no go...

Slow down a moment! I've been fighting the editor...

Does copying and pasting the text work? It does for me now. As I said, you have to be a full Maintenance customer to view Ideas, though.

Sorry...only have one cup of coffee in me. I have given an upvote to the idea.

Yeah, the site's editor just ate a huge post of mine.

Anyway the answer is... no. You can't change the selection order in WF4. However, you can using the new custom filter options in Creo 2. It might be there in Creo 1, too... I'm not sure.

Its good to hear that there is an option to get around this in Creo. Unfortunately it may be 4 years or so before my company switches to a newer version of the software.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TractorGuy)

I HATE preselection highlighting. I think it leads to a lot of bad references in creating geometry and a lot of circular references because the (especially new) users usually get the wrong reference. I've tried to set my new "younger" (mid-20's to early 30's) users up with query select but it seems the ADD inherent in these i-this-and-that generation "kids" (I feel I can call them that because I'm 20-ish years older) makes them want the perceived instant gratification of the prehighlight setting. It's like they don't care WHAT they're selecting they just want something to automatically select itself for them, not knowing or caring what it does to the model. Then if there's an issue, they blame the software for picking the wrong thing, especially the X-solidworks guys. Argh!!!

I hear you there - and that's speaking as someone who's (maybe just about) still in your "younger" classification .

All I can suggest is that you need a bigger clue stick...

It's like they don't care WHAT they're selecting they just want something to automatically select itself for them, not knowing or caring what it does to the model. Then if there's an issue, they blame the software for picking the wrong thing, especially the X-solidworks guys.

I had to laugh out loud at this Frank. And it's been a tough week for me so I needed the laugh!

Top Tags