cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Question about View Manager: Simplified Reps

amorales
1-Newbie

Question about View Manager: Simplified Reps

I am using envelopes on a large PCB assembly.  I am trying to cut down on the loading times of these large PCB assemblies that are within other large assemblies.

I created a simplified rep for the newly created envelope.  That all works great with erase not displayed and removes all the components.  Every time I exit and come back into my PCB assembly, my assembly goes back to Master Rep it loads all the individual components again.

How do I keep the newly created simplified rep as my default and not go to Master rep that loads all the components?

Thank you.

Anthony

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:amorales)

The master rep of your top level assembly is everything and can not be saved in conjuction with sub assy reps.

Create a simplified rep in your top level assembly that uses the simplified reps of your lower level PCB assys. Then when you open top assy, select the drop down arrow next to OPEN and select OPEN REPRESENTATION and choose the appropriate rep.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StephenW
23-Emerald II

The master rep of your top level assembly is everything and can not be saved in conjuction with sub assy reps.

Create a simplified rep in your top level assembly that uses the simplified reps of your lower level PCB assys. Then when you open top assy, select the drop down arrow next to OPEN and select OPEN REPRESENTATION and choose the appropriate rep.

Thank you Stephen.  It works just need to tell my users to make sure to open the rep to save time loading these large PCBs

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Great, glad I could help.

There is a config.pro option, open_simplified_rep_by_default yes , if you want to make it so that when you hit OPEN, it still automatically asks what rep you want to open.  Since I work on large assemblies mostly, it is a time saver, but if you only occasionally work on them, it means an extra click every time you open a file.

Just an option.

thanks again.

I do have another question as you seem to have experience with large assemblies.  So I created an envelope of the PCB assy.  I created a simp rep.  When I open the PCB assy i open by simp rep.  That works great.  None of the components load and it is really quick to open. As I expected.

Now I have an upper level assembly that this PCB assy goes into.  When I create a simp rep and use the envelope part.  Right click. Representation > Use envelope. I save a new rep from the master rep.  Now my new simp rep is created.

I save and close.  My expectation is that when I open that simp rep (I understand how to do that now thanks again) that all the components in the PCB do not load as I am using the envelope.

But the assembly does load all the components even though i am using my simp rep.  Not what I expected or wanted.  I have tried so many different ways but it always load the PCB components. 

Any clues to what I may be doing wrong?

Do I need to create a new envelope part in that top assembly with the PCB Assembly?  when i have tried it does not give me option for surface subset shrinkwrap.

Thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II

It should work, I don't see anything you are doing wrong. Make sure that when you close, you erase-not-displayed to clear current memory.

You may want to test your process on a small test assy to make sure you have the correct process.

1.Create envelopes in sub-assy and save sub-assy's

2. create new rep (or modify master) in top level

3. substitute envelopes of sub-assy's in top level

4. SAVE new rep in the simplified rep dialog box (or master rep which will create a new rep).

5. save top assy in the file menu

Test:

1. close models

2. erase not displayed

3. open top assy using the open rep dialog in the file open menu

4. look at object list (or in session list in file dialog box) to verify what is in memory

Thanks Stephen for your response it is much appreciated.

On my PCB assembly it works fine.  Looks like I am doing things correct.  I have done exactly what you have in the steps the first time creating this before asking the question.  I wanted to make sure I was doing it all correct.

What is odd in this is when opening the simp rep in the upper level assy that the PCB is in it works but it still loads all the components on the PCB.  Then when I do a erase not displayed it erases all the PCB components from memory.  Not exactly what I would expect.  I was expecting that none of the PCB components load in the upper level assy like the PCB assy.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I agree something is strange.

Is it possible it is bring just some components in to memory that it requires for placement or reference and not all the PCB components?

Is it just the one PCB envelope that brings all the components in to memory or do all of them do it? If it's just one,it's likely some anomaly of that model. If it's all of them, it's probably something in your methodology or the way the models are built. Not really sure what that would mean though.

Did you test on a test assy and sub-assy with envelope? Just to see if it works on a completely different set of parts. That might tell you if you are missing something.

I just tried it on another assy i created.  The PCB assy works great.  new simp rep does not load PCB components.  Really fast opening.

I created a new upper level assy with a PCB that has an envelope.  In the upper level assy I expanded the PCB assy to find the envelope I created.  Right clicked the envelope part Representation > use rep.  Go to view manager and save the new rep.  I erase not displayed and it removes all components.  I saved upper level assy.

Erase not displayed.

Open up envelope rep.  I still loads all the components of the PCB assy.

Again, thanks for your help.  Unless there is something wrong with how I created this rep it doesn't seem right as to why it would load components when it should be using the envelope simp rep.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm pretty much at a loss now.

If you can make it all work like you want it to in a test assy but not in this specific assy, then I would have to assume there is something about this assy that is causing it. Not sure what that might be.

If you are on maintenance, you could submit it to PTC Support and see if they can tell you something.

If it's something you can upload here on PTC Community, someone on here will likely be able to find the problem.

I know that for a lot of users, neither of these are options.

You have been more than helpful Stephen.  Thanks.  Yes I am going to open a PTC case just to find out if it is something I am doing or my assembly or my models.  I was really stoked on the concept of envelopes and simplified reps.  Loading times for our 2.5k PCB components can be a pain.  Have a good day. If I find some more about this I will answer back.

Hi Stephen,  Just to follow up on this. It turns out to be my assembly I was using.  Not sure the reasons why just yet.  I tried and created a new top level assembly it it worked well.  Thanks again.

Try to change the Default rep. It defaults to being the same as the Master rep.

Hi David.  I did try this out before reading your reply and it works fine now.  Thanks for replying

Top Tags